[1] I HATE IT HERE

Warmth.

It's the only thing you can feel, spreading across your body in waves, as if gusts of wind are carrying it over you. In the moments when it doesn't undulate, it remains slow, steady, and nearly unbearable. It surrounds you as if it's wrapped around every part of you, and it weighs more heavily on your arms and legs, you notice.

You're in a haze, trapped somewhere between consciousness and unconsciousness. You can experience the sensation of warmth, but you can't quite open your eyes. When you do try to lift your heavy eyelids, they instantly flutter back shut once more after being overexposed.

Light.

Too much of it threatens to set your senses ablaze, so you raise your hand in front of your face and timidly try once more. Though your overwhelmed eyes can't pull your surroundings into focus, you can see the clear, blue sky around the silhouette of your hand.

With a small grunt, you lift yourself into a sitting position, sending the sand that had almost engulfed you down your form in long, golden trails. As you wiggle yourself free of your grainy confines, you realize you're clad in a light gray boiler suit that's unzipped a few inches down your chest, revealing a matching bodysuit underneath. Its surface comprised of a honeycomb structure shines brightly in the sunlight beating down on you. A strap around your thigh holds an empty gun holster, and each of the small attachments to your belt are devoid of anything helpful as well.

Great, you think with a sigh, Guess I should try to figure out where I am and what the hell's going on...

Upon getting up to your feet, you continue to shielding your eyes from the sun so you can survey your surroundings. To your left is sand. To your right is more sand. Ahead of and behind you? You guessed it! Sand. But in the distance, you can roughly make out a smoking mass of metal that somewhat resembles a small ship or pod.

It takes you a few moments to come to the realization that you're completely and hopelessly stranded in the middle of an expansive desert. Once you realize there's not a building or person in sight for as far as your eyes can see, the panic starts to set in.

You've gotta be kidding me. There's no fu--

[Hello!]

A chipper, female voice accompanied by large text appearing in your field of view makes you scream and leap backwards in pure fright. Staring up at the letters hanging in the air with wide (e/c) eyes, you hold your breath and wait. Without warning, a small, robotic bird the size of a finch appears before you, swooping out of a sea of blue pixels and hovering less than a foot away.

[Welcome to the beta version of Ukiyo, a brand new, science fiction, massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) that uses advanced technology to create a fully immersive player experience!

I'm your companion, Gen! I'm glad to see you up again! I thought you died during that crash landing. We need to find civilization, but we can't go anywhere without your crew. Let's wait for them to spawn before we do anything, okay? I'll conduct a body scan and make sure you're good to go.]

As your eyes move from the vast, golden hills of sand surrounding you to the glowing beam of green light the bird is supposedly using to inspect you, only one thought crosses your mind.

Where the fuck are my friends?

Not even two seconds after you've come to the disturbing realization that neither of the friends you'd started the game with are anywhere to be seen, a wave of blue pixels washes over the ground a few feet away. You watch with intrigue as they mold together to form the shape of a human body before melting away to reveal a person, deposited neatly amongst the sand. That must've been how you'd spawned into the game as well.