Hidden Talents

Hey gang! Thank you all so much for reading this story. And just so y'all know I've made a few Insider's Looks to this story that you can find right here: Maraja's Board on Quotev. So be sure to check it out and feel free to ask me about any of my stories!

"Awesome, dude! Welcome to fam!" Manic exclaimed as Sonia glomped the charcoal hedgehog in a tight hug. Shadow instantly stiffened upon contact and tried to make sense of the girl's sudden emotions. Sonic stood to the side, unable to process what was going on. His toughest rival was his older brother? It didn't make any sense to him.

"Uh, sis?" Manic said, and she looked up to realize Shadow's face had started changing color from lack of air. She detached herself from him and laughed nervously.

"Sorry. I forget my own strength sometimes."

"At least now I know why Sonic runs from Amy," he said, his gaze turning in the blue blur's direction. He strode up to him and crossed his arms out habit, and neither of them were willing to look the other in the eye.

"Listen, Sonic, I..," the dark hedgehog began, and Sonic's gaze snapped to attention, "I know that I haven't been the best friend to you, I don't even wanna get started on how pathetic I am as brother, but...I mean, what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry. I've been a real jerk to you, and I hope that...if you can't accept me as anything else, I'd like to at least know we can be friends," he offered with his hand stuck out. What he didn't expect was for the cobalt hero to hug him tightly. He stiffened but slowly relaxed and released a barely perceptible smile.

"Forget friends," Sonic said at last and Shadow's ears drooped, "We're brothers now."

A huge weight floated off the older hedgehog's chest, and he hugged back. "Thanks, Sonic."

The azure blur laughed as they let go, "Does this mean I get to call you 'Shads'?"

"Not a chance."

"Yeah, I didn't think so."

"But at least we now know that neither of us is the faker," he replied, and Sonic grinned.

"Yeah. I'm kinda glad we got that settled, but don't be surprised if I accidently call ya faker, faker."

"Likewise, faker," Shadow answered.

No one else in the cave understood what they were talking about, and neither hedgehog felt like explaining. They all assumed it had to do with their rivalry or perhaps an inside joke of some twisted kind, which wasn't far from the truth.

The Oracle smiled fondly as he watched the three welcome their lost member back into the family. But it then turned into a frown. He still didn't know why he couldn't locate the fourth voice before, and even now it was difficult to sense his presence using his magic. Something else must have happened.

"Everything good, Orc?" Sonic asked, and the wizard nodded, hiding his previous thoughts.

"Yes, although, our time here has grown short. I must send you four back to your friends. Return to Robotropolis. With the four of you reunited at last, the time for Robotnik's final defeat is drawing close. Farewell, young ones, and keep each other safe."

The four nodded, and the Oracle waved his hand. There was a brilliant flash of light, and they disappeared from the cave. The old anteater released a deep sigh before a cloaked figure came into the cavern from behind him.

"They have all grown so much. They shall make great rulers, when the time comes," he said. Under the hood, the figure smiled.

"I haven't them in so long, only glimpses of the three on their adventures, and him...I haven't seen him in sixteen years. He looks so much like his father; it's uncanny."