A fire cheerfully crackled in the fireplace. Several fluffy blankets and a multitude of pillows lay on the floor before the fire. A tray with two mugs and all the fixings for hot chocolate sat to one side.

"I thought you could use some comfort things," Lucas explained as he sat down amid the pillows with me still in his arms.

I buried my face against his neck and hummed my thanks. Between the fire and my mate's body heat, I was warming up nicely inside and out. Not to mention that being cradled against his chest was one of my favorite places in the world.

Lucas held me for a long time, not asking any questions or saying something cliché to try to make it all better. He simply held me close and let me process. After awhile, I sat up so I could see his face. We smiled at each other before I leaned forward and pressed my lips to his. Nothing too deep or inviting, just enough to send a tingle through my veins.

He sighed when I pulled away. "Hot chocolate?"

"Yes, please," I giggled.

He pulled the tray closer and reached around me to swiftly mix the drinks. Cocoa, hot milk, and a splash of vanilla. Yes, it sounds odd; but we love it. It's our thing.

I sipped my cocoa in silence, considering how I should start the unpleasant conversation. Maybe I should skip the 'what' and go straight to the 'why.'

"You should really put some pajamas on," Lucas half growled in my ear. "I don't want you to catch a cold. Besides, your current attire is making it difficult for me to be close to you without..."

I melted a little at the tenderness in his voice. He really didn't want to push me. I just needed to meet him halfway.

"I'll be right back." I gave him a quick kiss before extracting myself and shuffling into the closet. Alone in there, I dropped the robe and changed into some comfy lounge pants, a soft bra, and one of Lucas's cotton shirts. Just being dwarfed by his shirt and surrounded by his scent made me feel better. It also triggered a familiar flutter in my abdomen.

Lucas had cleared away the cocoa tray when I stepped out of the closet. His gaze darted over my outfit choice before he smiled in approval. He lounged back on the pillows and held out a hand to me.

I shuffled across the room and dropped onto the pillows beside him. "Thank you... for all of this. It's very sweet of you."

He wrapped his arm around my waist and nestled me against his chest. "You're my mate. I love taking care of you... through the good and the bad. Right now, I don't mind comforting you with all of this. To see you smile makes it all worth it."

I smiled at that. For being a possessive lycan, he did a superior job demonstrating his love. I loved him for it. He really understood what I needed in the moment.

"You will always make me smile," I gushed before leaning into another soul-calming kiss. My body relaxed as he hugged me into his chest. I wanted to stay in that moment forever, but reality crept back in.

Lucas pulled away and nuzzled my nose with his. "I have a feeling that you're ready to let me in on what happened today."

"Your feelings are correct," I mumbled. "I don't want to keep anything from you."

"I'm glad that you trust me enough to tell me why you're hurting." He kissed my forehead. "So tell me what's going on in that mind of yours."

I grumbled for a second before propping my head on my hand. "Promise that you won't fly into a vengeance rampage?"

He cocked an eyebrow. "Promise... not until you're asleep."

"Lucas, I'm serious." I drew a deep breath and began. "Maya cornered me in the kitchen earlier. I'll spare you the specifics, but she accused me of some pretty nasty things. She said that I'd enlisted a witch to fake a mate bond... that there was no way I'd ever be worthy of a lycan... that I must be one heck of a seductress for you to—" I chocked on the rest of that thought. Maya had done a mental number on me, so I was bordering on doubting the strength of our bond.

Lucas growled briefly and rubbed my back. "Maya has always been jealous of us. You have nothing to fear from her. She is nothing to me, and you are my everything. All she has is empty threats."

"Maybe," I whispered, "but she's done a pretty good job of making me feel inadequate, worthless, and unfit to be with you."

"Don't ever say that," he growled, clutching me against his chest. "It's all lies, and the moon goddess made us for each other. Despite what Maya says, I know that you're a perfect mate and that you'll make a wonderful mother someday soon."

I buried my face in his chest and took a deep shuddering breath. This was not how I thought this would pan out, but it was still something. Maybe he'd figure it out...

"Babe?" He cupped my cheek and ran his thumb over my cheek. "Is there something else?"

"Her insults just hit in a pointed way," I mumbled against his shoulder.

"Why? You're my mate, so she can't break us apart." He rubbed my cheek again. "The only thing she could attack now is your fitness as a mother. Why would that hurt so much unless..."

I swallowed and pulled back to meet his gaze. His face froze for a second as recognition/realization set in. His hold around my waist tightened and his eyes widened.

"Karina..." he whispered. "You're..."

"Yeah." I nodded slowly. "I'm pregnant."

He stared at me for a long minute before pulling me in for a kiss that reached the deepest parts of me. My veins tingled, and my wolf purred in contentment. Everything was right as it should be. All of the nasty memories faded away.

I tucked my head under his chin and curled into his chest. His body heat soaked into my skin and calmed me into a sleepy mental haze. When Lucas started humming and stroking my spine, I smiled and drifted off into a blissful sleep.