VI. UNBOUND SECRETS

Start from the beginning

"And what exactly did you plan?

He laughed again. "We found out that Mr. Sabini has a meeting today with some big man inside the police. It's in a little tea house just off the Strand, so we found a way to make them hire a new lady to help serve- just for the day."

The name sent a shiver down her spine. She hadn't head it since the night Tommy had almost been killed, and spent days wondering who the man was and what was going on.

"Sabini is dangerous, isn't he?" she ventured.

She saw both Tommy and Arthur still.

"Yes," Tommy replied simply. "He owns most of London- all the races below the Thames and every single club in the city. He's dangerous."

Part of her was glad they trusted her to spy on him. Part of her was mad that they were getting into another mess.

"Tommy, he tried to have you killed. Shouldn't we-"

She knew her argument was a lost cause.

"But he didn't kill me, Rose. He didn't kill me and we need to find out what his next move is going to be if we want to secure a place in London."

She hated that he was right. She wondered for a moment how long she could go on like this- worrying every waking moment for his safety. She grabbed his hand and squeezed once.

"And so I am to go in and, what, listen?"

"Sure- OH FUCK YOU!" he shouted at another car as they drove through a busy intersection. He was back to smiling as he looked over at her. "You go in there, listen to every fuckin' word that snake says, and report back to us."

"When is the meeting?"

Arthur turned a corner and then turned again into a small ally. With a jolt, he stopped the car and turned it off, looking back over to her with the smirk she had learned meant nothing good.

"Twenty minutes."

Her heart leapt into her throat. There was barely any time to prepare-

"Now before you freak out, just go in there and get changed." He pointed to the back entrance to what she assumed was the tea house. The alley was dark and damp, the door tilted on its hinges. "There's a woman in there- Madam Novak- who will help you and get you ready."

She nodded, steeling herself.

"And while I'm in there, what will you be doing?"

She watched Arthur's shoulder's tense once more.

"We have some business to attend to- stuff that's best done while Sabini is...distracted."

She nodded again, rolling her eyes.

"I'm a Blinder now, Arthur. One day you're going to have to let me in on your plans before they go wrong."

Tommy let out a huff of laughter and Arthur shoved him.

"We will, Rosie. This secret is for your safety- trust me."

"Okay fine," she grumbled, grabbing the dress bag and stepping onto the wet pavement. "When should I expect you to pick me up?"

"Our little outing might take a while, so you'll have to get a taxi home- you shouldn't have a problem getting one on the main road. Just make sure Sabini and his men are gone before you leave, okay?"

She muttered an 'okay' and turned to Tommy. His face was even in the way it often was, but she could still read the words on his lips.

Be safe. I love you.