CHAPTER TWO

Brenda POV

I couldn't sleep after my nightmare, it felt like forever before the sun shone through the windows. The same mysterious woman from yesterday came into the room, carrying a handbag and a bouquet of flowers.

They were magnificent, but they surely are not mine,she doesn't even know me! She must be in the wrong room, I tried to speak but nothing came out!

When her face met the light, I could see her eyes heavily hooded with fatigue and sorrow, but even with her sadness, the woman cracked a smile and said:

"Well good morning sweetie, hope you had a nice night, I got you those flowers!"
She put them on the table and came closer
"I don't know what's your favorite color, so I picked every color in the shop... Hope you like it!"

I felt the need to cry, happy tears don't get me wrong, no one ever cared to get me a little flower before, and now this lady gets me an entire bouquet full of all the flowers in the world .
She looked at me and noticed the sparkle in my eyes, and as if she understood me, her eyes lit up too

She sat on the couch next to me and crossed her legs "My name is Sofia Makala" that's a start, now I know her name.

"I don't know if you can hear me, I don'tknow if your here, but its been a month since you were gone and all i can wish for is for me to be in your place, my sweet innocent girl"

Did she say gone for a month!? I was there with father yesterday,
I-I wa-was being punished for dropping a plate and broking it after hours of working. Well long story short, father is the janitor of a really wealthy family, but he always takes me to do his job. They normally are gardening shores - which I often enjoy- But yesterday, the lady maid was sick and he was asked for help in the kitchen, but being the great father he was, he came home in a huge hurry and forced me out to help him, as he said:

"You are a big mouth to feed, you have to work for your meals". Turns out, there was a huge dinner party, at least 40 people invited, they were all happy and enjoying their time.

I got to work, and after all the partiers went off, I was given the dishwashing job. At this point I was exhausted, but I kept up, working so I avoid any sort of punishment, but suddenly I felt  tiredness drowning me and I dozed off, for just one moment, but by then, a crashing sound erupted in the kitchen, and I opened my eyes to a running drunk man hurrying towards me with a shoe in his hand and an angry expression on his face...
Father.

After hitting me for what seemed like an eternity, the shoe struck my ear so hard I was temporarily blinded. I screamed so loud but blackness consumed me, and what happened next is unknown.

Sofia pulled out a book, and kept silent for far too long, I eventually got tired of just watching Sophia read, so I gave in and went to sleep. After what felt like no time, two voices woke me up while screaming at each other

-"I told you never to come to this room again" Sophia said in a very angry tone. I never heard her speak like that!

-"Stay away from me, I should wake this slut up, I can't afford to pay her hospital bill and she knows it, wake her up right now, or I will beat you up and make you sleep in her place" replied my father, his threats were always directed at me, I never realized how cruel he can be from this far away.

-"How dare you talk to me like this, don't you know who I am?"

silence

"But of course you know, now GET OUT of this room and out of this hospital. I WILL PAY her medical bills, and I WILL HELP her..."

But my father was thrashing at the door noticing my eyes opened.
"STOP BARKING LIKE A FILTHY DOG AND. GET. OUT!!"
I then heard a slamming door sound that frightened me and Sophia exhaled deeply

I was wide awake by then, and Sophia turned towards me and apologized several times for waking me up, while stroking my hair, obliging me to relax,
then after a long pause, she murmured, "don't be scared little one, I will not let him get near you as long as I shall live, shh..."

I never knew my mother, but if I would imagine a mother's instincts, this fury Sofia showed is it. I hope this is not a dream that I would ever wake up from...

Hope you enjoyed💙🌼