They purposely did that to her, and those two men (who were now deceased) were just sacrificial lambs. They tricked her to go to the city willingly so that her abilities will unleash there and kill many people. Not only the infected ones but also the innocent and healthy ones.

The next thing she knew, someone else put a device around her neck.

It encompassed her whole throat and she noticed that in the front was a scarlet orb that blinks every second.

The continuous fire in her veins never dissipated but she was unable to unleash them with the choker around her neck. It can only be removed with a needle-like key who was in Janson's grasp.

She wanted her powers gone but she wasn't happy when it was suppressed either. Especially, when she found out what they really want from her.

She became their very own weapon.
She became Experiment Zero: Project Ravage.
She was no longer Jane Monique Bertrand.

She was caged and isolated like an animal.
She didn't know that four years had already passed, but she knew that she has been there for a really long time. She was only visited whenever they needed something from her, but that only became rare.

She was their secret weapon against the Right Arm, they said.

She didn't really care about any of that.

She lost everyone she cared about. She can't trust anyone either.

Especially Janson, who she thought she could trust, but turns out he was just a rat.

There is nothing else for her to love.

But that didn't mean she wasn't craving it. Love. Family. Friendship. It was her vulnerability even if she doesn't admit it.

But with all the things she has gone through, she doubted that she will ever find someone who will care for her, and even if she does, they'll just end up abandoning her. Because they always do.

She's got nothing else to lose and that's what makes her more dangerous.

The only one who can fend for herself was her.

She started fighting back and they weren't happy with that. Her hatred couldn't be veiled because of her bluntness. She doesn't think before she speaks and it had gotten her in loads of trouble.

They called her names. A freak. An abomination. A monster. She was already hot-headed and her anger gets worse as they trigger her. That's why her wrists were bound almost everyday.

She wanted to be free and she's persistent to get what she wants.

They always attempt to manipulate her.

Sometimes she just joins the ride to make them believe they're successful of using her and breaking her. But they can't break her anymore, because behind her tough exterior, she was already shattered.

While they think that they have succeeded, she was growing and learning from them. They call her a monster, so she'll show them what a monster does. She's already playing their games. What they didn't know was that she made her own rules and she's tenacious to win.

Why doesn't she just get the key and use her powers to destroy them?
She can't.

Because she still needs them.
At least one of them, to teach her and help her how to use her abilities.

So she won't be just a destructive bomb, but also a shotgun.

Janson already hated her guts, so she needs someone else. Someone who is smart and a good teacher.