"Sir Guy's Dilemma", Ch. 6: Archer's difficulties; Seth takes ill, 11/23/12

Start from the beginning

Sir Guy:  “So where is the money now?”

Lord Archer:  “Oh, here, there, and everywhere.”  He says cryptically.  Guy stares him down.  “Very well, there is one chest hidden at Locksley Manor.  Fr. Bale has one chest secreted in the cathedral in Leicester for me--that I dropped off on my way here.   And, …”

Sir Guy:  “And?”  Then realization comes to Sir Guy.  “Good god man!  You don’t mean to tell me that the remainder of the coin chests are here?”  There is thunder in Sir Guy’s voice and in his looks.  He is seriously displeased with this turn of events.

Lord  Archer:  “Yes, buried in your stables. The carriage I road in visiting you this time allowed me to bring the four remaining chests--as well as bring Seth his new puppy.”

Sir Guy:  “Archer, I do not want to put my family at risk by hiding something that Prince John wants--his tribute monies.” 

Lord Archer:  “None of the guards or workers know the whole story--only you, Fr. Bale and the Locksley Steward Thornton know.”

Sir Guy:  “But this is madness.  There are already three people too many who know about the treasure.  And I have the welfare of three children to think about now--in addition to My Lady Rose.”

Lord Archer:  “Brother?  Have you held out on us?  Is Rose with child again?   So soon?”  He smiles.

Sir Guy:  “Yes, and though we are pleased, the soon part of that statement troubles My Lady Rose--since women of her station typically have their children several years apart.”

Lord Archer:  “But brother, women of her station do not normally marry for love as you have.”  He says clapping Sir Guy on his back.  “Felicitations!  You have a dynasty in the making!”

Sir Guy:  “Thank you.  We are pleased.”  Guy smiles begrudgingly at Archer--despite Archer’s attempt at changing the subject, the treasure.   “But what of Prince John?  What was his solution for reigning in the nobles--given that you know that you obviously don’t need to bleed them of their monies since you already have the earlier tribute monies?”

Lord Archer:  “Prince John is back into the marriage brokering business.  He commands me to wed--or at least engage myself to one of Lord Haverford’s three daughters post haste or he will make Lord Haverford Sheriff of Nottingham in my place.  It seems that Lord Havorford is eager to shed himself of at least one of his daughters and is using the proposal that he purchase the Nottingham commission from Prince John as a bargaining chip.  Of course, Prince John wants half of one of the Havorford girl’s dowery money--which is a higher payment to him than the Sheriff commission would be.”

Sir Guy:  “Well with your inappropriate pursuit of Lady Saline, I suggest that you do need a wife to keep you occupied.”  Sir Guy crosses arms, tilts his head at his brother Lord Archer and furrows his eyebrows in consternation.

Lord Archer:   “But the Havorford daughters are all little girls--not even 16 years of age at 15, 11, and 6.”  It seems that Lady Saline and Lord Archer have similar notions about maturity.   “The betrothal could last years before we wed--and I cannot wait that long.”  He says huskily and pouts thinking of years of forced celibacy until he is wed--because Lord Havorford would have spies watching Lord Archer to make sure that he would do nothing that would spoil the match. 

Sir Guy:  “They are young, brother.  But it is not unheard of to take a wife of 15 years old--which, for you, would not be that great a difference in your ages.  Are you growing scruples, brother?  Or are none of the ladies to your liking?”  He smirks.

Lord Archer:  “Too hard to tell.  The girls are all pretty things--in an unformed sort of way.  The girls giggled so when their parents twice invited me to dine with them.” Archer rolls his eyes.  “I felt that they might prefer me to play a game with them rather than marry one of them.   Child brides!”  Archer rolls his eyes.  “God’s teeth!   Save me from marrying a babe just out of the nursery!”