"Sera, let's go!" He took her arm and pulled her away while running. Seraphina followed behind him, bewildered. "Over here!" He made a sharp turn and pulled her along. As he skidded to a stop, he pulled out the shirt he'd bought and threw it at the source of the aura. Not to his surprise, it landed on something invisible.

    "It's invis-" he began, but before the words were out of his mouth, Seraphina froze time and kicked the invisible figure with enough momentum to send him a good distance away. "-ible," John finished. He looked at Seraphina, who in turn, looked back at him. "Come on, let's get out of here."

❃❃❃

    John and Seraphina sprinted into the house, and shut the door. Both of them slid down, out of breath, and looked at each other in shock.

    "What was that?" Seraphina questioned, thinking aloud. "Anyway, it's best I get back to the dorms."

    "Huh? Are you nuts? Just stay here for the night and leave when it's bright out," he told her.

    "I can take care of myself, John."

    "Still, it's safer," he countered. Seraphina agreed to stay and sat down on the sofa while John left to prepare some ramen. As soon as he was out of sight, his thoughts and concerns rushed upon him instantly.

    "That's exactly what happened in my dream! That invisible guy appeared, and Sera and I ran away. Does this mean..? No, of course not. We never brought home that stupid bear, so they can't track us. Sera's safe." Strangely enough to John, the events of today followed an almost exact sequence to the events of his dream. "Well what comes next? Uh, Sera gets suspended because... BECAUSE I LEFT UNORDINARY OUT!" John drops the packet of ramen and rushes outside. Almost immediately, he slides forward on his socks and collides with Seraphina. For a single moment, they teeter back and forth before John and Seraphina both fall backwards, Seraphina landing on top of John.

    "Gahh, sorry Sera. I was in a rush," John said, his face red.

     While trying to hide the pink dusting on her face, Seraphina gingerly picked herself up and replied, "It's fine. Is this why you were in a rush?" She held up a book titled 'UNORDINARY'.

    "Uh, well, yes," he admitted. Seraphina rubbed her chin with her unoccupied hand.

    "You always manage to surprise me." John groaned, expecting the worst. "Lucky me, I've always wanted to read this. I heard it caused many high-rankers to step forward, these so called 'vigilantes'. There are rumors that it's cursed, and people went crazy after reading it."

    "Sera, be careful," he said, concerned. "Listen, if you get caught with that book, you'll get in serious trouble, probably expelled. If you're gonna read it, then be very careful. Hold on a second." John walked over to a bookcase, pulled out a book, and slid the plastic cover off. "Put this on it." Seraphina did as he instructed and they were both pleased to see that it no longer held any suspicion of being an illegal book.

    "Nice idea. You don't mind if I borrow this then?" John shook his head.

    "Sera," he pleaded, "just read it here." Seraphina was a little taken aback by his change in tone. She laughed lightheartedly anyway.

    "John, it's just a book-"

    "An illegal one."

    "Alright fine," she replied, "an illegal book. We covered it up well, and it's not like anyone's gonna go out of their way to look at this. Plus, I'll be extra careful. When have I ever been caught?"

    "Oh I don't know, in the future perhaps?" John thought. "NO!" he shouted, once again louder than he intended, causing Seraphina to look surprised. "Uh, sorry," he apologized. "I didn't mean to be harsh."

    "No it's alright. I get it. I'll read it here then. It shouldn't take too long right?"

    "Yeah, thanks Sera."

❃❃❃

    John tossed and turned as he slept. The strangest of memories flew through his mind. They seemed so close, yet so far away.

Chapter 1 (1213 Words)

✒ Thank you for reading! [annalycheee, and EZ]

Thank you for reading! [annalycheee, and EZ]