Meeting the Herondales

Start from the beginning

battered phone and pressed the button to turn it on. The screen stayed black. "Yeah, it's dead," Tessa said sourly.

"You realize Mother," Will said, with severe distain in his voice, "Is coming back today, right? Her business trip ended early," Will told Cecily.

"I know," Cecily sighed. The Herondale twins' blue eyes fixed themselves on Tessa, who shifted under their stare. "I don't know how she'll react to you and Sophie being here,"

Cecily frowned.

"What do you mean?" Tessa asked.

"Our mother," Will said distastefully, "Only biologically, mind you, doesn't like anybody that's…"

"Not as rich as you," Tessa finished.

Cecily shrugged helplessly. But she texted the other Shadowhunters and Sophie anyways, and sat beside Tessa on her bed.

Tessa sighed. "You don't mind if I stay here with you, do you?" Tessa asked. "I can always ask Sophie and even Jem, maybe."

"Jem?" Cecily asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We are friends, you know," Tessa said, hugging Cecily's pillow to her chest.

"You didn't mention Gabriel or Gideon," Cecily noted.

"That's because it would be awkward with them. I know Jem the best and besides, Gabriel's dating you and if Gideon doesn't grow a pair and ask Sophie out, then I'm smacking him," Tessa said.

"Not very lady­like, are you Miss Gray?" Will said, grinning. "But don't worry. I like you like this much better."

Tessa rolled her eyes.

"Man, the tension in this room," Cecily shuddered, eying both Will and Tessa.

"We're just friends," Tessa said. She didn't notice Will's face slightly falling.

Cecily scowled. "Don't worry, Will," Cecily said. "She'll come around. And if I'm not maid of honour, I'm at least going to be the wedding planner."

"When we get married," Tessa scoffed, "Cecily isn't coming near me."

"You said when," Will said, raising an eyebrow. Tessa didn't take back her words though, glancing at both Herondales.

"Well, that made me feel loads better," Will said cheerily. "Let's just elope to Vegas right now, Tess." Tessa only rolled her eyes, but once again she did not deny anything.

Why didn't she? Tessa didn't even know. But Will was growing on her and honestly? Tessa didn't mind it at all.

Tessa explained it all and her friends listened with rapt attention, not saying a word but always scowling. "So that's why I need to stay with someone. I might go back at get my

things, but I really don't want to see my parents," Tessa said.

"Tessa…" Sophie began.

"It's alright. I know you don't have any room," Tessa said, offering Sophie a reassuring smile. "Though I like your house over this place," Tessa grinned.

"It's too big, too empty and too…" Cecily began, but Will finished.

"Too ugly. I mean, stone walls are so medieval times," Will shuddered. "It's like I'm living in a prison."

"My house is open…" Gabriel said, shrugging. "Not sure how Tatiana would like you but… and my dad is very…"

"No," Tessa said, drawing her knees to her chest. "Benedict Lightwood is…"