Financial Problems

Start from the beginning

study until school starts. I juggled my schedule a bit so that during free periods, I'm doing Mandarin Tuesdays and Thursdays on free periods and sketching Monday and Wednesday

for free periods. The job at the library is… right after school from Monday to Friday until seven and then I'll work at the gas station until midnight," Tessa said.

"You only have five hours to sleep on the weekdays!" Cecily argued.

Tessa continued as if she hadn't heard Cecily at all. "Then on Sunday and Saturday, I'll sleep in."

"Good," Sophie said with a sigh of relief.

"Until seven a.m."

"Theresa Gray! I object!" Cecily said, standing and putting her hands on her hips. Tessa ignored the younger Herondale though.

"The ice cream shop is opened on weekends right? Of course it is. I'll ask for a job there and see if I can work from seven to whatever time. Then studying until eleven at night.

Perfect!" Tessa said. While she was saying all this, she was writing down her schedule.

"I guess I can cut back on studying a bit and make room to hang out with you guys," Tessa said, twirling her pencil with her fingers. "I forgot something… Oh yeah! Fighting lessons. Whatever. I'll get Will to wake up early. Seven to twelve. Then twelve to five I'll work at the ice cream shop. Then the rest I'll study."

"Tessa, you're barely sleeping then!" Sophie argued.

"I don't have time to sleep!" Tessa shrieked. "In a week, I barely scrap up six hundred pounds a week! I don't want my family to live on the streets again!"

"Wait. What do you mean by again?" Cecily asked. But Tessa was already packing her things and she stalked out of the Institute library, heading to her sketching lessons with

Gabriel.

"The girl says she was going to work at your ice cream shop, Mr. Herondale," Patrick said. Edmund Herondale shot Patrick a look. "Sorry, Edmund," Patrick amended. "Her schedule

is completely booked and she is only sleeping an approximate average of forty­one hours a week, despite that she should be sleeping at the minimum of fifty­six hours a week."

"Oh, Angel," Edmund said, rubbing his forehead.

"She earns around six hundred pounds a week," Patrick reported.

"Only seven hundred?" Edmund said in disbelief. "She has three jobs but she only has six hundred?"

"Her words also suggested that her family had once lived on the streets."

"Oh Angel," Edmund said again, slumping in his seat. "I thought Tessa's family was pretty well off."

"You thought they were an average family. I checked their living arrangements. They have a decent sized house, but they live in one of the worst neighbourhoods – that's why it's

so cheap – but Tessa has to bike or walk to school. And deliver mail."

Edmund sighed heavily. "I can offer her more money… get her to quit her jobs."

"It would seem suspicious though, sir – I mean Edmund. A small ice cream shop offering her more than six hundred pounds a week?" Patrick said.

"So twenty pounds an hour?" Edmund said, asking Patrick for his opinion. "She can work from three to eight – so five hours. Each day she would earn a hundred pounds… And if she

works every week day, that's only five hundred. If she works on the weekends, I'll give her bonuses. So raise it to thirty on weekends and we aren't including tips. So then that's