19

Since that fateful day, Minami showed up after every single practice. Except for the morning ones. She rarely attended the morning ones, for the sole reason that she could simply not get up.

Her dedication even warranted a private conversation with Kita, in which he asked if she would consider applying to be a manager. Minami had laughed, (politely) saying that while she was honored, she had already said yes to the girls team. Kita smiled at that.

And so, the weather was nice. Perfect even. Minami thoughtfully observed it, the clear sky in all its glory, while tugging at her knee-high socks. Her mom had surprised her with them after hearing about the highly sought after manager position. (Which Suna may or may not have told her about).

Perhaps it was the weather, the cloudless sky, the really good cold brew in her hand, or the girls coach complimenting her on her handwriting. Minami was in an excellent mood, and it showed— there was the slightest skip in her step.

To be truly happy in a world that demands nothing less. She sipped her coffee. How radical.

Atsumu had texted her just minutes ago, demanding her whereabouts. There were plenty of exclamation marks and emoticons involved. Was his use of them ironic? It was genuinely hard to tell.

Pushing that train of thought aside, she glanced at the gym doors up ahead. According to seven smirking emojis, important news awaited her.

Minami was just picking up Rintarou. But she would never pass up the opportunity to chat with the team while she waited. Their antics never failed to amuse her.

As if to confirm this, Atsumu launched himself at her the moment she set foot in the gym. There was a mischievous gleam in his eyes, but she gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The gym glowed, the way it always did, and she couldn't help but smile.

"Finally!" Atsumu exclaimed, "where have you been?"

She huffed in good-nature, holding up her cold brew. "Take a wild guess."

Atsumu, bless his soul, looked genuinely concerned. "You have a serious problem," he said.

"I know. What's up?"

He looked around secretively, and gently grabbed her shoulders to steer her away from any onlookers. Was Minami confused? Yes. But she was plenty used to this by now.

They stopped by the bleachers, and an odd sense of déjà vu rushed through her veins.

Atsumu turned to face her, letting go of her jacket with a sly grin. "So there's this girl."

Minami looked at the setter questioningly. "Go on."

"On the girls team. Wing spiker. Six foot two. Asked me about you."

She raised her brow, knowing exactly who he was talking about.

"And," he said happily, "listens to Rina Sawayama. You have practice off tomorrow, don't you?"

Minami's green eyes sparkled. "Ah!" she exclaimed, paying no heed that he was drenched in sweat as she went to hug him. "You're the best!"

Osamu watched from afar as his brother and his friend jumped around together. He averted his gaze, turning to Suna. "They're too bright..."

Suna snorted. "If she's happy, I'm happy." He took a sip from his water. "Atsumu has an outlet that isn't us now. It's refreshing."

Raising a brow, Osamu met his eyes. "Right. Does he know about...?"

"No," Suna said blankly. "That would be like giving a medieval kid some Baja Blast. His brain would literally explode."

Osamu laughed at that. "Probably. Wanna take the scenic route?"

They exchanged a smile.

And Miya Atsumu, dizzy with something he couldn't quite place, let go of Minami. Watching, with a megawatt smile, as she reached to give him a high five. It hit him, then. Why there were no more stars left in the night sky.

Every last one of them was in her eyes. The eyes of someone unafraid to love, unafraid to care.

And maybe, just maybe, he did give a fuck after all.

The sun set on the Inarizaki gym, those inside, and the memories that were not needed, not at all, but cherished instead.