18

The roar of the crowd. The blinding lights, the buzzer, the point board that lights up with every mistake, every success. When the ball drops, you're done. And when it doesn't? When you dig up every last ball, scream the calls until your throat is hoarse, keep jumping and running even though your body begs you to stop? 

That's a hell of a game. The type the crowd loves, because really, what's more intense then two sides unwilling to throw in the towel? Your nails dig into your palms as you stand on the sideline, sweat beading as you wait for someone to screw up. Just once, that's all it takes. 

Really, sometimes being an onlooker is just as stressful. At least, that's how Minami felt. 

She was standing below rows of band members and cheerleaders, confident that she wouldn't be hearing properly for the next few days or so.

Minami quite liked the band. She was proud of them for getting so much funding, (such is the nature of high school arts) even though she knew deep down it was only because they were the volleyball team's personal hype squad. (Such is the nature of high school sports). 

With equal parts trepidation and excitement, she watched as the score board flickered to match point. Just one more point. 

Aran spun the ball in his hands, waiting for the whistle. 

Just one more point. 

He tossed the ball high into the air, and began his approach. With tremendous power he leapt and sent the ball flying over the net. The opposing libero barely dug it up. 

Just one more point. 

The other team knew all too well it was their last shot at defeating Inarizaki. 

Filled with adrenaline and nothing to lose, their ace slammed the ball through Suna and Osamu's block.  

But Akagi was right there, waiting to pick it up. The crowd roared as the ball arced perfectly to Atsumu, a grin lingering on his face. 

"Aran!" He shouted, setting the ball with confidence to their strongest player.

One more. 

As soon as Aran's palm grazed the ball, the opposing team knew it was over. Everyone did. The ball swerved powerfully, right to an empty space on the court, as if it was meant to all along. 

It was when it rolled to a stop on the other side of the gym that everyone erupted in cheers. The buzzer sounded with a sense of finality. 

Inarizaki had won. 

In just two sets, they took the title. The Hyōgo representatives for their division. They were, without a doubt, going to nationals.

Minami, face aching from how hard she was grinning, looked to the banner. We don't need memories, it read. She begged to differ. As she looked around the gym filled with people screaming with joy, and down to the court where half the team lay on the ground, equal parts exhausted and happy, she thought she would like to remember it forever. 

Suna scanned the crowd, trying in vain to pick out his best friend in a crowd of yelling band kids, cheerleaders, alumni, and students who kind of just wanted to skip school but thought it was worthwhile anyways. 

Atsumu, who was patting him on the back, looked too. "Where's your girlfriend Suna?" 

Suna shot him a withering look that would've turned anyone else into a pile of ashes. Returning his gaze to the crowd, it took everything in him to not deck his friend right then and there.

Osamu, who found it hilarious, sidled up to Suna's unoccupied shoulder. "Suna," he said, voice lilting in a teasing manner. "I didn't know you had a girlfriend. When are you going to introduce us?"