03

In school, everyone knows when it's a Monday.

Brushing off the feeling of the weekend slipping through their fingertips, students know it's the start of the week because it's easy to talk about.

So as sleep-deprived teenagers dragged themselves into the classroom, conversation and trickles of laughter fluttered about. Some were chugging cans of coffee, others gazing longingly at said coffee, and a few were making small talk, about coffee.

One student turned to her left, finally grasping the perfect thing to say to the cute girl that sat there. "Man," she said good-naturedly, "wish it wasn't a Monday."

The girl turned to face her and smiled, relieved that she was on the receiving end of such an easy conversation. "Yeah!" she laughed, "I could totally be sleeping right now."

Their polite small talk weaved its way into other relatable subjects, like tests and caffeine. The chorus of voices then smoothed out in a decrescendo, and the two turned to see their local teen idols walk right through the door.

"Ugh," Atsumu groaned loudly, hands behind his head as countless stares drilled into him. "I hate Mondays."

Osamu rolled his eyes at the obvious remark, trailing right after his brother. "Thought we all did."

The blonde twin collapsed in his seat, fully aware that people were checking him out while he stretched. "Whatever. Don't we have that test tomorrow?"

"Yeah," Osamu said, following suit. He cracked a smile. "Better have studied dipshit."

Atsumu closed his eyes, leaning back in his chair. "You're the dipshit."

The morning was a nice one, with fluffy clouds and a sweet breeze floating through the air. The trees were lush and lovely, leaves glowing emerald in the sun. It would probably be a lot more pretty, Minami thought, if it wasn't a Monday. And if she could see the sky for herself, not through some window.

Despite this, she was very grateful for the view. How she had managed to nab such a valuable seat she didn't quite know, but she had a nagging suspicion it had something to do with Rintarou.

She switched her gaze over to the boy in question, who was face down against his desk, sound asleep. Minami cracked a fond smile at the familiar sight. Forget the seat, the bigger question was how anyone found him intimidating. Reaching out her hand casually, she ran her fingers through his ebony hair. It was messy, like he had been too busy to brush it this morning.

Several gazes honed in on her figure at the small action, which served as a startling reminder that her best friend had some sort of harem going on. She eyed the polaroid of the two of them wedged behind her clear phone case, sort of forgetting her hand was still in his hair.

Near the front of the room, Atsumu was listening to Osamu go on and on and on about last night's homework, when a thought hit him.

"Huh," he said, eyes shooting open. "Isn't Suna in this class?"

His brother stopped and gave him a scrutinizing look, the type that said surely you are not this stupid. Atsumu held up his hands in defense, still very much curious as to the whereabouts of one Suna Rintarou.

Osamu sighed, which he knew would be the first of many on this fine day, and gestured to the back of the room.

Atsumu turned, blatantly ignoring the flustered students that sat right there, and squinted between them to see if his brother was lying. But alas, there by the window sat the man of the hour... being petted... by a girl.

Okay, so he would definitely harass Suna about that later. But his main concern was how familiar the girl looked. Too familiar. Atsumu turned back to Osamu, who was smiling almost softly at the scene. The blonde looked back and forth between his brother and the girl, inadvertently drawing the attention of his classmates— who, despite being used to his antics, were thrown off by his bewildered expression.

Before Atsumu could demand any sort of explanation, the bell rang. Students rushed back to their seats, and several seconds passed before their teacher strolled in.

He slumped in his seat as the woman approached the chalkboard. Sneaking one more look at the back corner he saw a half-awake Suna, and that girl hiding her smile with her hand. Sooner or later, he told himself, he would find out just who she was.

Chalk in hand, the teacher faced her half-asleep class and sighed. She expected nothing less from a Monday.

The lesson dragged on and on, courtesy of the broken Keurig in the teacher's lounge. One student could have sworn he saw the numbers fly off the board and do an interpretive dance somewhere around the middle of the lecture. He was describing this in great detail to his friend, when a toned bicep was suddenly in his face.

Pausing in disbelief, the boy watched as the Miya twins squeezed by his desk. The poor boy and his friend were too affected to say anything, only watching as they moved carelessly to the back of the classroom.

The two boys watched in horror as Atsumu stopped right in front of two students near the window, a peculiar look on his face. Osamu trailed right behind him, looking uninterested as usual.

"Shit," one of them whispered. "They're botherin' Minami?"

The other boy, still flustered from the whole bicep thing, shook his head. "Nah," he muttered, watching the girl's previously dazed expression morph into one of amusement. "She's too nice. Doesn't matter anyways, they'll find out soon enough they're not her type."

Several rows back, Atsumu stuck his finger in his friend's face. "What're you doin' here?" He asked loudly, in a borderline accusing tone.

"Hello to you too." Suna raised his head half-heartedly. He proceeded to face plant on the desk with a pained groan.

An absurdly charming laugh was let out at the sight, and even Osamu looked over to see who it was. Atsumu blanched at her face, suddenly realizing why she looked so familiar.

She tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear, which was covered all the way up to her cartilage with plasters. Oh. A tiny, traitorous voice whispered in Atsumu's head. She has a lot of piercings.

Totally ignoring the boys that towered over her, Minami looked out the window again. Letting her drowsy mind fall victim to her thoughts, she tried to count every last leaf that flew by. Emphasis on the tried, because within several seconds a very large hand was waving in her face.

"What the fuck," she said softly, not moving an inch. The hand stopped abruptly.

Slowly, she turned to direct her gaze at the culprit. "Well?" She asked not unkindly, lips turning to a half-hearted smile. "Is there something you need?"

The boy's smirk widened, and Minami noted his hair was still that odd shade of yellow. Perhaps she should lend him her toner some time. 

"Yeah," he said, "could I get your name?"

Faster than the speed of light, he was grabbed by the face.

Osamu grabbed his brother's stupid head, and held it in his hands. "Why," he said solemnly, as Minami was still trying to process exactly what had happened. The silver-haired twin continued. "Why!" His hands were shaking now, Atsumu's face still very much grasped in them. "That was so gross. Couldn't you have asked her like a normal person?"

Suna was wide awake now, as was the rest of the class. "Dude," he sighed, rubbing at his eyes. "She's Minami. That's her name. Minami."

Cheers erupted throughout the classroom as Atsumu pulled his brother into a vicious headlock.

"God," Suna said bitterly. "I fucking hate Mondays."