~June~

Hannah and Ethan had finished school for about two weeks. Lex had been taking on overtime and Ethan was trying to get a job. They did it for Hannah. Talking to Hannah about the situation at hand was something they weren't going to do for a while. One night, when Hannah was fast asleep, Lex and Ethan held a financial meeting in the kitchen.

"I have some more stuff saved since I've started working overtime. If I continue at this rate, it'll be September before we can get to her dentist. To hurry it up, we might have to shut some of our utilities," Lex signed. Ethan internally winced. He hoped it wouldn't have to come to this, yet here they were.

"Well, we can get Becky to fill out the forms this week. I'm competing with thousands of high schoolers for summer jobs. I'm hoping I can get an interview soon. It's just been application after application and rejection after rejection," he said. Lex hugged him.

"The easiest way to make sure she can go to the dentist is by sacrifice. Look, I don't really eat lunch because I'm a snacker. I can replace it with a protein shake and be good to go. Those are cheaper than bread in bulk. I know you and Hannah have wack eating schedules as far as I know and this can maybe replace a meal. That'll shave off a bit without utilities being shut down," Lex said.

"Lex, babe, I don't want you to stop eating. It's terrible for you, even if snacks do make up a bit of it," Ethan said. He took a deep breath. "You've asked your family and it's been a no. Let me try something tomorrow, okay? I can't right now, but I'll let you know ASAP."

"Okay," she surrendered. The couple soon went to sleep, too tired to try anything else. They fell into a blissful slumber, unaware that Hannah had understood the main gist of the conversation.

The next day, Ethan left the house for a ten minute walk to make his phone call. He had nothing better to do with his time and it was essential that this call be made. Hannah was home alone, trying to figure out how she could help. She could work in five years and actually get paid legally, but at nine years old, there weren't many options.

"Lex, I got it," Ethan said, calling Lex on her lunch break.

"What did you get?" She asked, not eating anything (per the usual).

"So I called Flynn and asked him if Mom had left any money and it turns out there's this emergency bank account that I can use, so Hannah can go to the dentist and we don't have to sacrifice food or any utilities!" Ethan exclaimed. Hannah had heard that part.

"That's amazing!" Lex exclaimed, wishing more than anything she could hug Ethan.

"Okay, well get back to work. I'll schedule the appointment, but I still want to get a job so I can feel productive, okay?" Ethan asked Lex.

"That totally works. Just keep me updated."

"I will."

"Tutoring."

"What?"

"Ethan, you're a math whiz. You can tutor. Set your own hours and fees," Lex explained.

"I'll look into that, but I have to call Becky to ask about all that jazz, but I'll see you later," Ethan said, as he and Lex hung up.

"Ethan, that's wonderful news!" Hannah exclaimed. Ethan whirled around, surprised that she had heard him.

"Hannah, I didn't want you to worry," Ethan said.

"I still heard everything last night. I know our financial situation isn't great, but both you and Lex are making sacrifices and putting in the effort to make it better. I love and appreciate both of you," Hannah said.