The Shadowhunters

Start from the beginning

"Mother..." Tessa said hesitantly. "Are you sure I should go to the Institute? My old school was completely fine..."

"Nonsense!" Elizabeth shushed her as she guided Tessa to the door. Tessa slipped in her shoes as Elizabeth continued speaking. "We already applied and everything is settled. Also,

why would you not want to go anyways? The Institute is the best school in this world, Tessa!" Elizabeth clapped her hands. "Think big! Dream big!" Elizabeth offered Tessa a hair tie

and Tessa tied her light brown hair into a loose bun as she opened the front door. It was easy to tell that Tessa had gotten her looks from her mother, but her personality was

definitely of her father's. Calm, quiet and gentle.

Tessa was not as bubbly as Elizabeth Gray. Not at all.

Tessa gave into her mother's wishes. She always did. "Off you go dear!" Elizabeth waved to Tessa as Tessa left her new home.

Tessa sighed as she walked to the Institute. She missed the hustle and bustle of New York City, the loud taxi drivers that seemed to come in a flash at one single taxi whistle, the

blinking city lights and her adopted brother, Nathaniel Gray. Nate had stayed in New York for his girlfriend and he found a perfect job.

Tessa's parents already found jobs in London and Tessa hated how it all fit together perfectly.

With every step Tessa took, her mind began to focus on the Institute instead of missing her home. What would the Institute be like anyways? Prestigious? That was a given.

Original? Fancy? What if Tessa didn't make any new friends? Tessa was probably going to fade in the background again - just like she did in her old school.

All Tessa wanted to do then, was get through her senior year courses and get to a good university - preferably New York's. Maybe... the Institute wasn't all bad. Tessa wanted to be

a writer with all her heart and her dreams just might come true, with a little help from the Institute.

Tessa shook her head again, trying to clear her thoughts, as she continued to walk the rest of the four blocks to her new school. The second Tessa saw the Institute, she gaped.

Of course Tessa had seen pictures of the school, but the sheer size of it made Tessa want to run away. The school looked like a gothic church, except it was larger than any church

she had seen before. The formidable building had taken up an entire block by itself. The gray stone of the building made it seem like the building could have been found in the medieval times.

Enormous and intimidating, the Institute loomed in front of Tessa Gray, not inviting at all.

Students were already going through the tall iron gates, all wearing similar attires to Tessa, except the other students were all talking amidst each other.

"Like my new diamond bracelet?" a blonde girl said to her brunette friend. "Bryce got it for me for our three week anniversary. He said it costs two million pounds and that it was made out of diamond and real gold!" Her friend fawned over the bracelet on the blonde girl's wrists.

Tessa wanted to roll her eyes. Three week anniversaries? Who in the name of the Angel had three week anniversaries? Two million pounds? Tessa scoffed at the waste of money.

She could have lived off two million pounds for the rest of her life.

"Do you like my tie?" a freshman boy said to the other people surrounding him as they admired his tie. "I bought it from the same place the Shadowhunters shop at. It was nearly a