"Pancake?" She turned her head around to see him, standing near the deck, his hands resting on the wooden platform. His eyes were glowing green against the dark of the night, his mouth disappearing in the water as he descended lower, his nose submerged now. She seemed to pause in her shock, before turning towards him, her hands clutching the bottom of her shift dress, saying, "Don't mock me."

His eyes were unfocused on her, although she knew he could see her in the dark better than she could see him. His nose came above the water level, as he squinted at her, his chin coming above the water next, as he pressed his lips into a thin line as he lowered his eyes. "Alright."

She stepped into the water slowly, her hands holding down her shift against the wind, as Ayato refused to make eye contact. She was standing on a stepping stone in the water, and Ayato was beside her, on the lower level, his head reaching her shoulders. They stood in silence as the cricket song became louder around them, filling up the stillness. Her eyes refused to meet his. A certain shame overcame Yui, something she'd never experienced. Normally he'd be cracking up about her tasteless underwear and trying to get a gulp of blood, but now Ayato was silent, his curious stare observing Yui every five seconds when she was not looking.

The lake wasn't that deep, but Yui wasn't that tall either. So when she tried to step forward, her foot slipped, propelling her to hit Ayato's chest, his arms locking her in his embrace. His heart began to beat, her ear pressed against his taut skin, his arms holding her waist, enveloping her. His hands pressed into her skin, and she wanted him to hold her even closer. She wanted to eliminate all gaps between them, if possible.

Ayato picked her up in his arms, bridal style, and wading through the waters, went in deeper into the lake. Yui locked her arms behind his neck, raising herself against him, her nose brushing against his neck. He tensed up at the contact. Turning his face towards her, he closed his eyes, resting his forehead against hers. An uncertainty hung in the air around them, as she closed her eyes as well, her breath mingling with his, as she felt the water rise beyond her neck. The anticipation ate at her heart, wondering whether he would seal his lips with hers or not. Her chest rose and fell as her breaths quickened, her shift dress the only obstacle between them, their simultaneously beating hearts against each other with every breath she took.

Not bearing the tension, she raised her chin a bit, until her lips touched his.

***

Reiji tapped his foot on the ground, looking at the watch as Shu leaned over the hood of the limousine, sighing as they waited.

"This is the second time they've gone missing," Reiji said to himself, his hands forming fists as his anger boiled in his veins. "If they are so intent on keeping to themselves, they might as well get out of the manor and enjoy their solitude."

"You don't have to be so strict on them," Shu said, glancing towards Reiji, his shoulders slumped.

"And let Ayato turn out to be a slob like you? No thanks." Reiji scoffed.

Shu shrugged, opening the car door and slipping inside, shutting the door behind him. Kanato screamed behind him, throwing yet another tantrum as Subaru snatched his candy jar from him and shattered it outside the car. Kanato's screams reached another crescendo as he shouted Subaru's name. Reiji turned around, frustrated at his brothers.

"Kanato! Keep it down."

Kanato mumbled something unkind towards his elder brother, as Subaru called Reiji a dickhead.

"That's it," Laito said, his head emerging from one of the windows, "They've taken their sweet time coming here, we don't need to wait up for them."