Chapter 9

Disclaimer: See first chapter

Chapter 9

Harry woke up early the next morning, a habit he picked up living on the dragon reserve. Deciding to continue the training regiment that Steve had him on at the reserve, Harry changed into his workout gear from his trunk and headed out to the edge of the black lake. Once Harry reached the lake, he did a few stretches then began running around the lake. As he was running, he heard something in the lake, thinking it was the giant squid, Harry kept up his running. Harry suddenly noticed that the sound was following him, so he paused and looked to the lake, and saw a girl about his age watching him.

'Wow, there are merpeople in the black lake, I thought they only lived out in the oceans and seas.' thought Harry. Harry decided to at least introduce himself, and walked closer to the lake. "Hey there, name's Harry, and I was just wondering why you were following me?" asked Harry in mermish.

The young mermaid was slightly shocked. From what her parents told her, wizards would never speak with any magical race as wizards saw all other races as beneath them. Yet here was a wizard her age, speaking fluent mermish. "Sorry, it's just, I've never met a human wizard before, and I wanted to see if they were as cruel and untrustworthy as my parents have said, and my name's Marina." said Marina.

"By the way, how is it you can speak mermish, there has never been a wizard who could according to historical records." said Marina. "For as long as I can remember, I've been able to speak to every magical race in their native language, the first time I spoke another language, it was Parseltounge, the language of snakes, I discovered I could speak Dracospeech soon after, then more languages followed, among other abilities." said Harry.

Marina was even more curious, never in the historical archives of the merfolk, has there ever been a wizard who could speak all languages of the magical races. However, before she could ask another question, two figures breached the surface of the lake near Marina. "Daughter, what are you doing at the surface, I thought your mother and I made it clear we are not to interact with wizards unless necessary." said the merman. Both the merman and the older mermaid wore colorful clothing of royal design, showing that they led the merpeople in the black lake. "Your father and I were worried sick, when we went to wake you up, you were gone, and interacting with a wizard, completely unheard of." said the older mermaid.

"Please forgive her your majesty, she explained that she was just curious, and it was me who started the conversation in the first place." said Harry, shocking both older merpeople. "You speak our language, and recognize our status among our people?" asked the merman. Harry, deciding to show more respect, bowed to the three of them.

"I do, I have helped merpeople in the past, and have learned to identify the different ranks and responsibilities of each individual.... Which led to me discovering I could speak mermish, as well as the ability to breathe underwater." said Harry. The two adult merfolk looked to each other, then back at Harry. "This is truly strange, we have never seen a human wizard with such abilities.... My name is Valar, my wife is named Kira, you've already met Marina, I tell you our names as you have seemed to start a sort of tentative friendship with my daughter, but I will hunt you down if you hurt her." said Valar.

"I understand sir, and if she will accept it, I offer my hand in friendship to your daughter, Marina." said Harry. "I happily accept Harry, and hope to see you again." said Marina. Harry smiled, adding another friend to his growing allies among the magical races. Harry then realized what the time was and sighed. "I'm afraid I have to go now, I need something to eat before my first class of the day, and I don't want to deal with a bad hybrid of Danny Zuko and Man-bat on an empty stomach." said Harry. Waving to the three merfolk, who waved back, Harry left back to the castle to have breakfast.