Part 13: Nightmares

"It's your fault..."

"Stop it!!"

I couldn't feel it, but I knew it was pain. I couldn't hear them, but I knew they were my screams.

"You killed her..." His voice grew louder. "You Killed Her!! It Should Have Been You!! Why Did She Have To Suffer Your Fate?!?!"

Another kick, another swing, another blow. The ground was turning red, pooling around what I knew was me. My eyes were hot, leaking tears. I hacked with another kick, red splattering against what I was sure was dusty concrete. 

It dawned on me. 

'No...not here...'

"LEAVE ME ALONE!!" I screamed, lunging from the ground. 

There was a light nearby, I ran. I ran for what I knew would be freedom. 

"HOW DARE YOU!!" 

He grabbed me by my hair, throwing me to the ground. His large hands wrapped around my throat, squeezing tight. His nails bit into my skin. 

"DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO ESCAPE!! YOU HAVE TO ATONE!! ATONE WITH YOUR LIFE!!" 

I choked, sobbing past gasps as I clawed at his hands. My vision was turning black, fading as my heartbeat thudded in my ears. 

"I...didn't kill...her..." I sobbed. "It was...n't...my..." I choked as he tightened his grip. My lungs were screaming, coated in pain as my grip on his skin slackened. 

"I didn't... "

I woke with a scream. 

My lungs flooded with air, only to pour it out as I gasped and covered my throat. I sobbed into my hands, shoulders shaking as I heaved. It was dark, too dark, I hated it. The door slammed open, another scream burning past my throat. It was him

I began to sob, hysterical tears flying down my cheeks. 

"Nyoko! What's wrong?!" He rushed towards me, hands reached out. 

"NO!" I recoiled. "DON'T TOUCH ME! I DIDN'T KILL HER!!" 

"Nyoko it's me! What happened?!" He begged, reaching for me again. 

"DON'T TOUCH ME!!" I sobbed, clutching my head. I curled into myself, my tears soaking my chin and pillow. "PLEASE!!" 

It was silent except for my heavy breathing and sobs. The light suddenly flickered on, blinding me. 

"Nii~chan, what's wrong?" 

I peeked past my arm. It was Manami, rubbing her eye with her mouth gaping in a yawn. I peeked towards where I thought He stood. It was Shiokawa~san, his eyes dark. I swallowed. He closed his eyes, sucking in a deep breath before speaking to Manami. 

"Manami, you can go back to bed, I'll talk to Nyoko. Okay?" 

She nodded, mumbling a groggy 'goodnight' before closing the door, the small pattering of her feet the only sound left until they disappeared. He stood there, his head low. 

"Nyoko, can I sit next to you?" He asked, his voice quiet. 

I swallowed, clutching the blankets to my chest.

"yeah..." 

He sighed, his shoulder slouching as he slowly made his way towards me, brushing the covers with his fingertips before allowing his weight to sink into the mattress. He sighed again. 

"What happened?" He asked. 

I sniffled, wiping my nose with my sleeve. 

"I-I-It w-was j-just a me--" I choked back on the word. "Nightmare. It was just a n-nightmare." 

He hummed, reaching out a hand. I flinched away, shaken still from my...nightmare. He paused, his hand freezing. He lowered it, placing it back onto the covers. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" 

I immediately shook my head. I didn't want him to know. He nodded solemnly, breathing through his nose. We sat there in silence, my lip between my teeth. He sighed, shifting from the bed. 

"I'm going to get you some warm milk." He rubbed his neck tiredly. "It's still early, so if you want you can go back to sleep." 

I swallowed. 

"What time is it?" 

He looked at his watch. 

"It's about 3 in the morning." 

Guilt sank in my chest, hanging my head in shame. Now that I was calm, I noticed the bags under his eyes, subtle, but still there. 

"I'm sorry..." I whispered.

He immediately shook his head.

"It's not your fault Nyoko. Nightmares happen. It isn't something we can control."

I nodded, my lips sealing. He hesitated before speaking again. 

"If you want, you don't have to go to school today. I can call the school and--"

"No!" I gasped. "Y-You don't need to do that. I'm fine, I-I'll go to school. It was just a nightmare." 

He hesitated. His eyes said it all. He knew I wasn't fine, of course he knew. I was a horrible liar. Still he nodded. 

"Alright. I'll take you guys to school tomorrow." He was out the door before I could argue. "I'll get you that warm milk." 

I nodded. His footsteps faded into the hallway, the clinking of glasses echoing into the corridor. I sighed, rubbing my already sore eyes. I felt horrible, both from the... nightmare, and waking up Shiokawa~san. I really didn't want to go to school, but I needed this. If I didn't get my education, I wouldn't be able to get into a better job. I loved the Cinnamon Clover, but if I was going to support three children and myself, then I would need a better job.  

"Nyoko." 

I looked up. A small, steaming cup sat in his hands as he walked in. Giving a small smile, he placed it on the bedside table. 

"If you need anything else, don't hesitate to tell me, okay?" He asked, his voice sweet. 

I nodded. A small, sad smile played at his lips as he rose his hand, going to pet my head when he paused. His smiled faltered, eyes swirling with conflict until he began to lower his hand. I grabbed it, clutching it tightly in my own. Gingerly, I placed it on my head. I needed the contact. A sigh of relief passed his lips as he slowly began to stroke my head, rubbing his calloused thumb across my scalp. 

"I'm alway here for you Nyoko." He whispered, dropping to his knee. "I'm here for you." 

I nodded, tightening my grip on his hand for only a second before he took it away, walking to the door. 

"Good night Nyoko." 

I hesitated.

"....Good night."