↳ LEVEL 9.0

EDIT: apparently people are having trouble commenting so i'm sorry :( i dunno what's up man

warnings: semi-smut

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
"CHOKING THE CHICKEN"
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

Frank's father had once told him that happiness was like a soda.

It was sweet, fizzy, and... didn't last very long. Supposedly Frank was to enjoy his happiness the best he could before it went flat, probably like his own had.

Though sadly when his father had told him that, Frank was still a slow fifteen year old- and had done the logical thing in his mind- which consisted of him drinking soda every day so that he could always be happy... but of course that had only landed him a few cavities.

This felt completely different to that though.

Frank wasn't exactly happy, sat there next to the boy that looked a lot more like an angel than a human. He was... content, above all else. There was a difference, Frank was sure of it. This didn't feel like soda and cavities, or eternal bliss, it felt a lot more like short bursts of adrenalin in his bones that sparked in his heart and fingertips. It felt like a thick syrup made up of dopamine and nerves.

"So, how big was the staircase?"

Frank's eyes flickered to the bright ones beside him, curiosity circling the emerald pond encased in the sheen coating his eyes.

"Wh... What staircase?" Frank asked softly, his voice gentle and pathetic like a wilting rose.

A small smile came over the boy. It wasn't at all like his own smile earlier that day when he was speaking to Ryan. That smile had been as warm as hour old coffee; limp and anaemic. The boy he was faced with had a smile with a gentle touch, a certain purity and innocence to it.

"The one you tripped down?" He said through his confused smile, making realization dawn on Frank.

Right. That staircase.

Frank was really beginning to realize how many times he had lied to this boy, and it had only been their second proper encounter.

Frank swallowed and looked down at his empty slushy, "It was pretty- pretty big."

The boy nodded, and he shuffled restlessly on the seat beside Frank. They had sat down by one of the booths towards the side of the arcade, the dim lighting somehow darker in the corner they sat by. Frank didn't really understand why the boy had chosen to sit beside him instead of opposite him, but it wasn't like he really minded.

"You stutter a lot, Ticket boy." The boy finally giggled, making Frank flush, shaking hair in front of his eyes in hopes of hiding the evidence of his rosy face.

"I-I-" Frank was on the brink of committing mass genocide. "Um,"

The boy just grinned, "S'fine. I think it's really cute."

"Right," Frank whispered, feeling his stomach twist up into a sailors knot. He could hardly believe this boy was still talking to him. Not just talking to him- but complimenting him- telling him he was... cute.