2-Robert's Great Idea

'You can go next week, when I take your mother up north with me,' said his father. 'That will suit us very well. We can give Cook a holiday, too, then. You will have to send us a card every single day to tell us how you are and where you are.'

'Well, if that's the effect the idea of caravanning has on you, I don't think you'd better go,' said her mother. Anne hastily began to eat her shredded wheat, and her appetite soon came back. It was too good to be true — to have two caravans — and two horses — and sleep in bunks perhaps — and cook meals outside in the open air — and.......

'You will be in complete charge, you understand, James,' said the boy's father. 'You are old enough now to be really responsible. The others must realise that you are in charge and they must do as you say.'

'Yes, sir,' said James, feeling proud. 'I'll see to things all right.'

'And Fawkes will be in charge, too,' said Robert. 'He's just as responsible as James.

'Squawk,' said Fawkes, hearing his name, and thumping the floor with his tail.

'You're a darling, Fawkes,' said Anne. 'I'll always do what you say, as well as what James says!'

'Idiot!' said Harry. He scratched Fawkes's head. 'I bet we wouldn't be allowed to go without you, Fawkes. You are a jolly good guard for anyone.'

'You certainly wouldn't be allowed to go without Fawkes,' said his mother. 'We know you'll be safe with him.'

It was all most exciting. The children went off to talk things over by themselves when breakfast was finished.

'I vote we go caravanning up into the hills that boy spoke of, where the lake lies at the bottom — and camp there,' said James. 'We'd have company then — jolly exciting company, too. We wouldn't live too near the circus camp — they might not like strangers butting in — but we'll live near enough to see the elephant going for his daily walk, and the dogs being exercised . . .'

'And we'll make friends with Nobby, won't we?' said Anne eagerly. 'I liked him. We won't go near his uncle, though. I think it's queer that such a bad-tempered looking man should be the chief clown in a circus.'

'I wonder when and where Mother will get the caravans!' said James. 'Gosh, won't it be fun when we see them for the first time!'

'Let's go and tell Dobby!' said Anne. 'He is sure to be excited, too!'

'Baby! He won't understand a word you tell him!' said Robert. But off she went with Anne just the same, and soon Dobby was hearing all about the wonderful holiday plan. Hrrrrumph! So long as it included him, too, he was happy!