28; Fragile World

Another Shadowhunter was found dead last night in Williamsburg

Another Shadowhunter was found dead last night in Williamsburg. This time, murdered by a warlock. In this time of crisis, it is essential that we maintain strong leadership. And that is why Imogen named Jace Herondale head of the Institute, effective upon her departure to Idris. Dismissed. Tris was fuming. She never hated the name 'Herondale' more. Huffing loudly in annoyance, she sat down at her desk, stacking up her notes into piles and pushing it onto the corner of her table. She grabbed a new paper and a pen, scribbling against the thin paper, ultimately tearing it.

She let out a loud groan of frustration, but glanced towards her room entrance as she heard a knock. "Who is it?" She yelled.

"It's Jace!" 

The last person she wanted to see at that moment. The chair legs she was sitting on screeched as she got up and walked towards the door, opening it, a straight look on her face. Jace seemed to light up as she opened the door, but seeing the look on her face made him frown. "What do you want?" She asked with a sigh.

"I–um, it's Clary. She got attacked, and Simon brought her here. He asked for you, he's a little worried," Jace explained, expecting her to say something back. Instead, he was met with a small, sharp nod and what he found surprising was that she just pushed past him. She rushed to where Clary was, laying on a hospital bed with a medic tending to her wounds.

Simon immediately noticed his sister walk in the room and he walked over to her with long strides and wrapped his arms around her, the brunette girl doing the same as he sighed in relief. "Thank G–" Of course. He couldn't say that. Tris pulled away with a smile, looking up at her brother and said what he couldn't. "Thank God."

"You're okay," Simon smiled as they both made their way to an unconscious Clary. "I was worried, 'cause I don't really know where you are nowadays."

Tris nodded, understanding as she grabbed Clary's reports, reading them as Jace interrogated Simon. "So you didn't see the attacker at all?" Jace asked. "No description? Nothing?"

Simon shook his head. "It was hard to see and I had to choose. Either go after them or help Clary. Would you have done it differently?"

"You better get going," Jace sighed, earning a look from Tris. 

"No. I'm not going anywhere until she wakes up."

"Under the circumstances, there's a lockout order on all Downworlders," Jace stated. Tris instantly scowled at him but decided not to say anything even though she wanted to throw something at him while cussing him out.

Simon scoffed, raising his arms a little higher at his sides in frustration. "What else is new? Jace, I saved her, I brought her here, and when she wakes up, I'm gonna be there for her."

Jace declined. "I wish that were possible, but the Institute is on high alert. There are new rules–"

"I don't care about your rules," Simon glared. "I care about Tris, and I care about Clary. I'm not leaving."