"What are you apologizing for, Lakshman? You, who has done no wrong."

Lakshman wiped away his tears furiously and grabbed his arm. "You must come with me, Uncle Vasu. I'll talk to Grandmother, she can't do this. This is just......"

"She is in pain." Karna said softly, cupping the boy's face.

"But Uncle Vasu, how can you stay here!"

Karna smiled then. "Like I did when I was a child. Well, you weren't even born back then, but this is where I lived with my parents before I became a king."

"But look at the state of this house! I can't let you stay here. No, you are coming with me!"

"Lakshman, do not worry over me. I am fine, here. This place is sacred to me, this is where I spent my childhood, where my mother cooked my favorite food and my father put me to sleep every night. This house may seem like nothing but a hovel to you but for me it is dearer than any palace. "

"At least let the servants clean it up before you stay here." Lakshman picked up the torn mat from the floor and stared at him with sad eyes.

Karna sighed. "Lakshman, I will clean it up by myself. You mustn't disturb yourself over my living conditions, you have far more important things to worry about."

Lakshman looked like he wanted to argue but decided not too. "Lakshmana wrote to me about seeing you in Panchala but I didn't believe it until I saw you enter the courtroom. How are you, uncle?"

"I am fine, son but are you alright?"

Lakshman shrugged and started to speak but Karna silenced him with one look. "Do not disrespect my intelligence by lying."

Lakshman's shoulders sagged, and he closed his eyes, looking deeply tired of the world. "How does it matter, Uncle Vasu? Everyone here is chasing their own personal glory and their fanatical dreams. Who cares what I think?"

"I do." Karna said quietly. "I care."

Lakshman stiffened in his arms and his face hardened. "I am sure you have your own troubles to worry about."

Karna noticed the bitterness in Lakshman's voice and the way his lower lip trembled in silent rage. His hands were shaking, and he was making a deliberate effort to avoid his eyes.

"Lakshman?"

I am sorry I shouldn't have come here like this..........I don't know what I was thinking." Duryodhana's son began to move away.

"Lakshman?"

"Obviously you were tired and in deep sleep........I am such a fool....."