Romantic Route Epilogue

Gah! It's so bright. Someone close -- the curtains! Oh, that's right, we don't have curtains here.

Cuddled in Nobunaga's warmth, I opened my eyes to the sight of the bright sun shining through the paper screen doors.

Nobunaga: "Good morning, Mai."

Mai: "Good morning."

Seeing Nobunaga, with his arms wrapped around me, gave me a rush of happiness.

Okay, this is pretty ideal.

It was a thought I'd had every morning I woke up in Nobunaga's arms, regardless of where we were. And every morning, I'd press my cheek against his chest and breathe in his warm scent.

Mai: "I really missed sleeping in futon.

Which is funny, because back home I slept in a bed."

Nobunaga: "We slept on beds the whole time we were abroad too. I found them rather comfortable."

Last night was our first night back in Japan in a long time. It was a fantastic trip! I got to see so much that was history in my time! And the clothes! 90% of our luggage is fabric! And of course, wherever we went, Nobunaga drew a fanatical following with his charisma.

He picked up on languages so fast too! Portuguese, Italian, French. Oh, when he speaks Romance languages--la petite mort! I'd had success starting a proto-fashion label abroad. With things going smoothly there, we had time to come home.

After getting in last night, we stopped at an inn close to Azuchi and were planning to arrive at the castle today.

I'm so excited to see everyone! I relaxed into the feeling of Nobunaga's hands slipping through my hair.

Nobunaga: "Which do you prefer? Futon or beds?"

Mai: "I like both. Futon are like a great big quilt, but I love rolling around on a bed, too."

'What about you?"

Nobunaga: "I like them both as well. Though beds have an undeniable appeal. I think it's the way they creak long with your sweet cries. Both are pleasant to my ears.

Mai: "You rascal! You had a lot of fun making the beds creak even when we weren't in them!"

Nobunaga: "Because that always made you blush."

My face was hot now, remembering. Nobunaga peered at me with teasing eyes.

Mai: "Honestly, Nobunaga--"

I frowned, getting a kiss on my forehead for my troubles.

Honestly, I just-- My anger melted away. A different feeling took its place.

Nobunaga: "I don't care whether it's a bed or a futon. What I like is sleeping with you."

He placed a quick kiss on my nose and slid his hands slowly down the curve of my back. I arched as his path left a trail of heat on my body that warmed me through.

Nobunaga: "Mai."

My eyelashes, my cheek, my neck, all received tender kisses from Nobunaga.

Nobunaga: "You're so warm."

Nobunaga, you're the warm one--

He brushed my nightgown off, continuing to kiss down my body. Nobunaga cherished every exposed part of me, his body bright in the glow of morning.