Chapter 3

Mitsunari: "That was a good game, Mai. And that was a clever ploy you used at the end there."

Mai: "You really think so?" I'd lost by a very slim margin this time. Putting the goban away, I smiled at Mitsunari. His own face was lit with that angelic smile.

Mitsunari: "You've improved dramatically."

Mai: "Well, Mitsunari, you've been a great teacher." With practice over, I decided to make us some tea.

One month had passed since my arrival at Azuchi castle. I wasn't sure I'd survive at first. But I'd been getting along well with the castle seamstresses Hideyoshi introduced me to, even making some friends there. Thanks to Mitsunari's daily lessons, I was getting steadily better at Go too. I remember thinking I'd be bored, but that hasn't been the case. It has been peaceful though.

Part of that was Nobunaga leaving me alone. After our last game, he'd claimed my left ear. He'd spoken softly into my ear with his sonorous voice, kissing and nipping along the curve. And then, nothing, sadly. No! I mean, thank goodness he hasn't called me for another game!

I set the tea on a tray to serve. Something about my relationship with Nobunaga was bugging me. I mean, it would be great if things stayed quiet like this until it was time to go. But strangely, I was frustrated that I hadn't seen him in so long. My "warlord with benefits."

Mitsunari: "Is something on your mind, Mai?"

Mai: "I was just thinking about how I've gotten used to things here."

Mitsunari: "That's wonderful." Mitsunari thanked me for the tea, smiling gently as he took the cup. "You may not have noticed, but you've become an irreplaceable part of our lives here."

Mai: "Me? Irreplaceable?" I hope not! I'll be leaving before too long.

Mitsunari: "I guess you weren't aware. Lord Masamune told quite a few people how pleased he was with the kimono you made him. Now the whole castle knows if they want the best clothes, they should ask for you." Really? Is that the reason for the increase in work orders?

Mai: "I'm really pleased to hear they're happy with my work."

Mitsunari: "Lord Hideyoshi has been in quite the fix. He wants you to make something for him too, but he just can't bring himself to ask." Even Hideyoshi? I wonder if that's a sign that he's warming up to me?

Mai: "Tell him I'll be happy to make something for him, will you?"

Mitsunari: "Of course I will." Mitsunari and I smiled at each other. Just then, someone tapped lightly on my door.

??: "Pardon me, Lady Mai."

Mai: "Come in." The man, one of Nobunaga's vassals, got on his knees and bowed.

Vassal: "Lord Mitsunari, I see you're here too. I came to tell you both that it's time."

Mitsunari: "I know about the war council. I'll be there shortly. But Mai's been called too?"

Mai: "I haven't heard anything about it. But I am the chatelaine."

Vassal: "Lord Nobunaga specifically requested Lady Mai's presence." He did, did he?

My heart began to race. I told it to settle down. Once I'd gotten ready, Mitsunari and I walked to the audience chamber together. He let everyone but me know ahead of time! I shouldn't be surprised that my time means nothing to him!
Mitsunari: "Mai? You don't need to rush. We won't be late."