Chapter 2

After stopping by the bathroom to clean my shirt, Lars and I finally got to work on our project. By the time 4:50 hit, we had finished the script, and planned to meet up again the next day to do the recording. I couldn't wait.

We headed off to the student union where students were still setting up their exhibits. I spotted Alice across the room, and she waved me over.

"Mom and Dad are outside right now," Alice said as we approached. "What's with the bird?"

"This is Molly." I ducked as Molly stretched out her wings, her talons on my shoulder tightening. "I get to take care of her for the night."

"I don't think Dad will like that." Alice tucked strands of her brown hair behind her ear, and worked on setting up an easel.

"Whatever." I picked up a stack of four various drawings taped onto thick, black matte board. The top drawing was of a fluffy, brown dog. It looked very realistic, and very familiar. "Is this Woofer?" Woofer had grown up with us, but died several years ago.

"Yes. Actually, hand me it. I'll put it on here."

I handed it over, and noticed the next drawing. A rather professional portrait drawing of a man's face. Black, straight hair ended at his chiseled jawline. I let out a guffaw that made Molly squawk. "Is this supposed to be Cameron Brook?" Cameron Brook being an actor nobody has heard of. Because he'd only been in three movies. Playing forgettable background characters.

Alice blushed furiously, and snatched the drawing from my hand.

"Who?" Lars asked.

"An actor Alice is in love with. You've probably never heard of him. No one has."

"Shut up," Alice grumbled.

"Shut up," Molly mimicked.

Just then, Tiffany walked by, and stopped to exchange hellos.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Providing refreshments," Tiffany said flatly. "I baked cupcakes and cookies for the show."

"Really? I didn't know that."

"I've been saying that all week. I even complained about it earlier- how I spent all last night cooking? Remember?"

"No."

Tiffany let out an exasperated sigh. "You're impossible."

"And your cooking is impossible to resist." I followed Tiffany over to the refreshments, passing by exhibits in different states of completion. "You have got to try one of Tiff's cupcakes," I said to Lars. "They are to die for."

"Sounds good."

Tiffany finally noticed Molly, who had yet to leave my shoulder. "Why do you have a parrot?"

"Long story," I said. "I'll tell you about it over cupcakes."

"Are you sure you should have a bird in here?" Tiffany asked as we arrived at a round table. Plates of cupcakes and cookies were on display, along with cups of fruit punch and water.

"She's well behaved," I said, reaching over to grab a bite-sized chocolate cupcake. "Man, these are small. Why didn't you bake the bigger ones?"

"Because bigger ones take longer," Tiffany said.

Lars took a bite out of a vanilla cupcake. "These are good!"

Molly decided right then and there to show how well behaved she was by fluttering off my shoulder and onto the table.