Dramatic Route Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

Mai: "Yeah. And that way our actions wouldn't have any repercussions on our own future."

Sasuke: "However, that was only a hypothesis based on our low impact. Historically, both Kenshin and Shingen should have been dead for years before Nobunaga's death in the Honno-ji incident. And the two of them were believed to be dead up until very recently. Nobunaga's death was heavily rumored as well. If that had continued, there would be no drastic changes to our history. However--" Sasuke's normally composed expression clouded over. "This war has become too big to ignore. It will go down in history, as will the knowledge that all three men are still alive."

Mai: "So, now you're thinking our own history will change?"

Sasuke: "I believe so. Nobunaga's survival and the war between the Uesugi-Kenshin alliance may already be history in our present. If you had a textbook on you, you might see it written there. Assuming our books are even the same."

Mai: "What?! How bad is this going to get? What happens if history keeps changing?"

Sasuke: "I can't say. I prefer observation to speculation. But the result of this battle is likely to have a huge impact on history. It doesn't matter whether Kenshin or Nobunaga wins. Our timeline will be rewritten."

The future is being rewritten. I began to question our actions. But everything seemed to have just snowballed to this point. Without any of us intending to, Sasuke, Kenshin, Nobunaga, and I were now at the core of something terrifying.

Sasuke: "Now, this is where I'm stepping away from science for a bit. I think a power -- you could call it a cosmological force -- may be stepping in to correct history." We've gone from sci-fi to fantasy.

Mai: "Do you have any better words to describe what this cosmological force is?"

Sasuke: "A power exceeding humanity's ability to understand. One capable of manipulating the laws of our world to achieve a goal." Sasuke pressed a finger to his glasses, frowning. "In ELI5 terms, assume Gd exists. And Gd is angry at us for changing history. He's trying to boot us out so he can return history to the way it's supposed to be."

Gd is angry at us for changing history. That is something I never expected to hear in my life. All the same, I had a terrible intuition that Sasuke might be onto something.

Mai: "I get it. Things are pretty dire."

Sasuke: " I have to add that it's conjecture. But it could explain why the wormhole is seemingly chasing us."

Mai: "That's why you said we'd be forcibly sent back. It's going to appear where we are, whether we want it to or not."

Sasuke: "Exactly. We'll have no choice in the matter. Both of us will be prevented from changing history any more." But it isn't right! Without thinking, I grasped Sasuke's arm.

Mai: "Sasuke, I can't go back! I have to stay! If I leave now, Nobunaga will--"

Sasuke: "Mai--" I promised Nobunaga I'd stay by his side. If I leave him, his heart will die! "I understand your desperation. I feel the same." Sasuke's got people important to him here too. He must hate the idea of leaving them as much as I do. I shouldn't have gone off like that. I let go of his arm, but Sasuke took my hand and gently cupped it in his.

Mai: "Sorry for yelling."

Sasuke: "Don't apologize. It's shocking, I know." Sasuke's calm voice helped me regain my composure. Now that I'm thinking about it, something's worrying me.