He smirked. God, I loved his smirk. “I’m looking forward to it.”

I gave him a real smile and then I disappeared out the door for good.

“Feel better?” Ryder asked as I returned to the car, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and walking me over to the passenger seat.

“No.” I croaked, getting into the passenger side of the fancy car.

“You will.” He assured me, getting into the driver’s side. He put my hand in his in the center console as we drove away and I watched as everything floated by. Jackson’s tan house, then Ryder’s gray one. We passed the park, the movie theater, that pizza place where the guy drew the drawing of me and Kale, and the really tall hotel where Kale took me on our first date.

Eventually, I just closed my eyes, not wanting to say goodbye to Hollywood just yet. But I knew that I didn’t have a choice, I had to leave.

It didn’t take long to get to the airport. “Here’s the tickets.” Ryder said softly, handing me an envelope.

I opened it and my face crumpled in confusion. “Why are there two tickets?”

“I’m going to fly with you, to make sure you’re okay.”

“But I’m not okay.”

He gave me a small smile and parked in the long term parking. “Well I’m going to fly with you to make sure you are safe. How’s that?”

I rolled my eyes at him and he helped me get my luggage onto one of those cart things.

“You didn’t have to waist your money on plane tickets just to follow me to Minnesota.” I told him.

“Well, I already did so it’s too late to change it- you’re stuck with me.”

I chuckled a faint chuckle and we pushed the suit cases towards the doors. But when we got close enough, I let out an audible gasp and stopped in my tracks as I stared stupidly at the pillar in front of the sliding glass doors of the airport.

“What is it?” Ryder asked.

“Jackson, where the hell are you?” I snapped. “You were supposed to pick me up an hour ago and I am about to die of a heat stroke or something.”

“An hour ago? You said three!” He argued.

“And it’s four!” I argued back.

“Oh.” He was silent for a minute. “I’ll send a car for you.”

“You can’t just pick me up yourself?”

“Sorry, kiddo. I have a photo shoot at 4:30 and it will take me that time to get there.” He said, sounding disappointed.

I sighed loudly. “Fine. Send a car. But tell them to hurry and blast the AC”

He chuckled. “Didn’t dress for the Hollywood sun?”

“Are you kidding? I’m so sweaty, it looks like I ran around the Sahara and my hair is a frizzy freaking mess. California sucks.” I ranted.

Again, he barked with laughter. “Alright, alright. Kale is on his way. Twenty minutes.”

“Ugh. Fine. I’ll see you soon then.” I said, sitting my suitcase upright against one of the pillars of the airport and then sitting on top of it while leaning my guitar case against the side.

“Nothing.” I choked. “Let’s just get inside.” I mumbled, trying to forget the flashback and we checked everything that I didn’t need, leaving me with a small Vera Bradley bag and Boyce. Poor, tear stained Boyce. He’s taken a beating over the last few days since whenever I feel a new wave of tears coming, I’d shove my face into his tummy and sob. And I had to admit, he stunk really bad.