Something Rotten This Way Comes

Start from the beginning

Shadowflight watches as the trolls mutter among themselves before the three holding him, Strickler and Jim release them none too gently onto the stairs.

"What now, our unfathomable leader?" Strickler asks as they get to their feet. Jim motions for his dragon to follow as he climbs up a few steps before turning to face the crowd of trolls.

"Now we get ready to give Angor Rot the fight of his life!" He yells, shoving his fist into the air, earning a loud cheer from the crowd.

The humans, trolls and dragon set about setting up the underground city for a fight. Everyone was setting up walls to block off certain areas made of various things like old TVs, barrels, crates, and other bits of junk. Shadowflight was more than happy to help, flying through the city with a net to collect various bits of junk the trolls wanted to use, earning himself a few pats on the head and some chin scratches from the ones who didn't seem too scared of him. As he was finished dropping off a net full of crates to get set up near the entrance, he decided to stop by the library. Inside, he find the three humans surrounding a table with the odd little green troll he recalled only meeting once and a tiny creature with a red cap on its head. It gave a startled squeal before sputtering some weird sounding chittering noises and running around the table in panic before hiding itself behind the little green troll.

"Why's Chomsky so terrified of Shadowflight?" Toby asks as the said dragon squeezes his head between him and Jim.

"Maybe dragons eat gnomes?" Claire suggests with a shrug. "Then again he is kind of scary at first glance."

As if I'd eat that tiny thing, it's not even big enough to feed a baby dragon and it has sharp teeth. Shadowflight thought in disgust as the little creature Claire a gnome barred it's teeth at him before blowing a raspberry.

"Let's just ignore the fact that Gunmar has a full list of who he's planning on killing." Toby says dismissively.

"It's like you said, we shouldn't be focused on the fight tomorrow, but the fight today." Claire says.

"It's just too bad we're gonna be wasting our time collecting stones to kill Gunmar and not Angor Rot." Toby adds. "I mean we have a dragon on our side, but he's injured and definitely not in good shape to be fighting."

Shadowflight huffs in annoyance. This wound was nothing compared to the injuries he'd seen on other dragons like his father, the only dragon of their species he'd seen with the most scars on his body that made him look fierce and feral. If anything, this was probably the first of the many battle scars he'd gain in his life, even if it wasn't from a dragon.

"Or so you think." The four turn to see Strickler walk in with a book in hand. "Maybe you do have a stone, Angor's eye."

Jim turns to pick up a glass jar with the weird black ball Shadowflight remembered finding on the stairs of the house. "You're saying I can use this in my amulet?"

"If cut with the proper guidance." Strickler responds.

"Show me where to cut."

🔹🔹🔹

Shadowflight watches his human as he and the changeling were busy cutting away at the eye with a strange rolling stone, curious to see what would happen. He didn't get what was so important about that eye, but apparently it was going to help Jim against the troll that had been giving them trouble since that day in the woods. Whatever it was supposed to do, he hoped it was enough to help.

After a while, the eye was now reduced to a tiny glowing red stone that Jim placed into his amulet, causing it to elevate off his hand and glow brightly before dropping.