And There She Goes

I watched, along with every male in the room, as Sheila sashayed into the boss's office. She gave me a weird wink with a spirit finger wave. Her attitude brought a sneer to my lips as I gave my head a small shake and turned my focus to the papers in front of me.

Her tinkling laughter could be heard through the slight opening; she'd left the door open on purpose. She wanted us to be able to hear her. Correction. Me. She wanted me to hear.

Ever since the Garrison account, our enemy status had been cemented. It wasn't enough for us both to be picked to be the leads. No. We each wanted to be the star, to blow the other one out of the water. But I was better at playing friendly than she was. She pitted the rest of the team against me. So every idea, every suggestion I made, was no good and her puppy dogs followed her.

It didn't help that she used her looks to help her get further. I mean, yes. She's beautiful. Tall and sleek, her curves in the right places, with perfect honey blonde hair and almond shaped olive eyes. Like I said, beautiful. 

Everyone looked up to her. Everyone always went to her for advice. Everyone always talked about how good she was at her job.

Sure. They came to me too. But I was the second choice. I got the scraps. It had always been that way, even in high school.

There was a time we had been on cordial terms. No, we were never friends. But we didn't always hate each other. That all ended, however, when she and my brother started dating. I got to know the real her, the side of her that she hid from everyone else. The "I'm better than you in so many ways, so bow down at my feet" her.

For the thousandth time, I wondered why I cared. She was nothing to me. Except maybe a slut. Of course, that was a big assumption based off of how she dressed, walked, and talked. 

I did my best to ignore the noise coming from the office. Work wasn't going to get done otherwise. 

Pushing my cheap, wire frames higher on my nose, I took the first page and began typing the words onto my keyboard. Well, pounding is more accurate.

I lost myself in my work until Laurance waltzed up, resting a hip against my desk. "Heya." Just his voice was enough to make me cringe. 

Plastering my best fake smile on, I looked up. "Hello."

"So…" He had a lazy voice. That's the best way I could describe it. He was so self assured that he was the greatest gift to women, his mannerisms were just lazy.

"I'm busy this weekend." I didn't give him a chance to ask me out...again. I turned back to my computer, taking care to be gentle with the keyboard.

"Look, I get it. You don't wanna go out with me." In my peripheral vision, I could make out a shrug.

This made me stop. I gazed at him, my right eyebrow lifted in surprise. "So then why do you keep trying?"

He snorted as he stood up, smoothing out his slacks. "Figured I'd give you the chance to see what you're missing." He gave me a sleazy half smile and sauntered away.

I couldn't help the unattractive raspberry that I let out. "Creep."

Laurance was known as the office player, although I doubt any of the few women here had given him the time of day. I guess it was more of an ironic title. 

I went back to my work, a small nagging wonderment starting to surface. It had been a while since slut...I mean Sheila had come out. 

Looking around, I saw that everyone was busy with their work. I decided it couldn't hurt to check in on Donny. He could only pretend to enjoy her company for so long. Besides, she had a job to do too.

After clearing my throat for no reason at all, I pushed myself away from my wobbly metal desk. I was sure someone would notice me and begin questioning what I was up to. So I decided I'd take my coffee mug to have an excuse. 

Making sure my knee length skirt was hanging right, I stepped to the side to push my chair into place. I raised a hand to check my tight bun, then grabbed the mug.

The carpet muted my footsteps as I walked down the aisle separating all of our desks. I cast a nervous glance to my right to see that my co-workers were focused on their monitors. Once I reached Donny's office, I could hear low murmuring. 

Before I ended up standing there and listening in, I found myself pushing the women's restroom door open. As I stared at my pale face in the mirror, I wondered what the hell was I doing.

I also realized that I was still gripping my coffee mug. Glancing down at it with a look of chagrin, I shook my head. I had forgotten that I brought it with me. So much for having an alibi for being the world's worst snoop.

Why does it matter?

Sighing, I decided to just go get a cuppa joe and get back to work. Whatever they were up to wasn't anyone's business, but theirs. But oh how I wanted to get her caught in something! 

After pouring the half-a-day old coffee into my mug and giving it a good doctoring, I started a less motivated walk back toward my desk.

Donny's door wasn't open anymore. And he always kept the blinds down, so it wasn't surprising for them to be closed now. But there were some noises that I don't think was business talk coming from that room. 

My head whipped to the left to see that people were oblivious to it. I looked back at the door, sure I had just misheard whatever it was I had heard. Several moments passed with me blinking twice as fast as normal. 

After looking around again, seeing that everyone was still lost in their work bubbles, I took minuscule steps closer to hear better.

Sure enough. I heard a lot of moaning.