Chapter 4 + His POV The Spark Of Love • Premium Bonus • Her Soft Toes

Start from the beginning

Nobunaga: "You're back. Then let's begin. It's been too long since our last game." Nobunaga did mention we'd have a game tonight.

Mai: "First, I need to know where you pulled a goban out of. I know you didn't pack it."

Nobunaga: "I had the innkeeper ready one. Now sit."

Mai: "Okay, okay." As gracefully as I could, for all the bumps and bruises of our ride, I sat down in front of the board. Nobunaga wasted no time in starting the game, but I couldn't concentrate.

There's no way I can play a good game like this.  The inn was silent. It was just Nobunaga and I in the small room. And there was only one futon. Don't let that distract you, Mai! Too much is riding on this! I can't have Nobunaga increase his "territory unchecked. At least, not until I've secured my safe passage to the present.

I was just placing pieces willy-nilly, but Nobunaga looked impressed.

Nobunaga: "Oh? You're taking a shrewd offensive now."

Mai: "Hmm? Oh, yes. Well, I haven't stopped practicing with Mitsunari, you know." That was lucky! Maybe it's starting to become second nature? If that's the case, I still have a shot!  But every gain I made was swept away soon enough. Things were now looking worse. It's not going to be that easy. Not with how distracted I started out. But on that note--  "Have you had a chance to use the hot springs? We can put the game aside if you haven't."

Nobunaga: "Why do you ask?"

Mai: "No reason. It's just that's what we came for, isn't it? So you could have a nice, long bath."

Nobunaga: "Don't fret. I will visit the springs once our game is over." Darn. I was planning to fall asleep while he was away.  I sighed. But another idea popped into my head.

Mai: "By the way, where did you say you were injured?"

Nobunaga: "What?"

Mai: "You looked pretty healthy to me, what with all the rock throwing and horseback riding today."

Nobunaga: "You'll find out soon." That's suspicious.  "It's been your turn for a while now. Make your move."

Mai: "Right." What was he getting at by saying I'll find out? Does it get worse at night? Has he been fighting the pain?

I stole a glance at Nobunaga. He cupped his chin. He didn't look like a man in pain. His eyes never left the board. His fingers toyed with the black stone. I just don't know. I thought I could read him, but I can't.

Though I didn't have to wonder long to find out what was on his mind. After a few minutes, I suffered a smashing defeat.

Nobunaga: "You put up a praiseworthy fight tonight. Your improvement is notable."

Mai: "Well, thank you for saying that." He was thinking about how to beat me. Obviously. He couldn't possibly have anything else on his mind.

Nobunaga: "Now, come sit beside me."

Mai: "And your bath?"

Nobunaga: "Come." Nobunaga wrapped an arm around me and I found myself being urged closer. He's so warm and--oh cripes, where are we going?!  He turned, laying me back on the futon, where I hastily sat up.

Mai: "You said you were going to visit the springs after our game!"

Nobunaga: "I changed my mind. I wanted time with you, first." We are NOT sharing this futon. How do I call housekeeping for another?  His eyes showing that strange sense of humor, Nobunaga held a hand over me, as though trying to decide. Eventually--