PROLOGUE

How far would you go to keep a promise?

Mass of sheets and books were cluttered across his desk, the lamp on it flickering nonstop, a vessel toppled over the floor and the spilled water from it seeping through the mattress. Hyungwon's study room had never been this unkempt, but none of it really mattered at that moment.

The tall boy was taking long strides around the place, his hands trembling as his fingers searched for everything, anything he would need in this long journey.

Hyungwon was going faraway, a distance place in a different time and no one else was there to aid him.

How far would you go to save someone?

His cramped bag was filled with a few pairs of jean, shirts, and shorts, his glasses- because he could not go without his glasses, some 'form' of money that his father had saved up for this venture alone. With his trembling fingers, he shoved his medicine into the bag and zipped it shut.

Then he picked up the watch.

This would not be possible without it and despite knowing about the adequacy of the machine, Hyungwon felt a bit dubious.

It felt surreal.

He thought he had neatly made a plan but over the past few months, he hadn't been himself, after the accident.

Now self-doubt was washing him over, making every bone in his body freeze and constriction form in his throat.

The seconds he stood there were the seconds that felt like an eternity, he could count the ticks of the wristwatch rhyming with his thudding heart, the lamp on his desk flickering with a certain clicking sound, the sheets of paper strewn across it brushing against each other for the strong wind swishing in through the opened window of the study room.

Hyungwon's eyes involuntarily glanced at the photo frames displayed on his table and he picked up only a single one.

"I'll meet you soon."

He hoisted up the bag on his bony shoulder. The watch in his hand, the number 2047 displaying on it as if it was mocking him in the face.

With a new found, yet feeble determination, Hyungwon wore the watch on his wrist. The leather straps, and the cold metal almost a part of his skin for the tightness. Then he turned the crown, the shells inside the glass twisting, the last digits going down with each knot.

And he kept turning until the 47 of the number was replaced with 17.

How far would you go to save someone?

Even if it meant losing yourself.

Everything went black the second he stopped. Hyungwon drowned, feeling his body plummet through an endless abyss that had no bottom.

That day, Hyungwon lost himself to keep a promise.

A promise to save someone.

---
A/N: First chapter in 17/7/2020