"I couldn't possibly ask you to stay," I breathe, although every part of me wants to.

He shakes his head, revealing some of that silvery-blue marking my father is so fascinated by. "You're not. I've chosen to."

"I think some sick part of me wanted you to take the promotion because I didn't want you to go," I admit, guessing that he has already gathered that by now. It was selfish of me, to not order Tai to let Marek go in exchange for my hand in marriage. Although now knowing he wouldn't have left makes my blood warm.

Marek sighs through his nose. "I thought I wanted freedom for quite some time, and then I asked myself why. I mean, there isn't much left for me out there. The Beast has been killed, so my one chance to eliminate my powers is gone."

"You still haven't told me what they are yet," I remind him.

He looks at me for a long moment, a solemn look in his eyes mixing with pain. I get the feeling he doesn't share this with many people, choosing instead to keep a lot to his chest rather than make it known. He's frightened of weakness, I realise. Unlike Tai, who has never had a reason to fear anyone, or flee from his past, Marek is reclusive, quieter. It may take more time for me to encourage him to truly trust me.

"If I admit it, it makes it more real. I don't want to be the person I could be, so instead, I let this ugly mark taint my skin," he mutters, sweeping his damp hair back to reveal his forehead. The strands rain back down around his ears, but allows me to examine the silver-blue layer of shimmery dust that cannot be removed.

"Marek, it isn't ugly. It's actually quite beautiful," I tell him honestly.

They way he looks at me in this moment has my thoughts faltering. He smiles, so softly and so genuinely it lightens his eyes, warming his entire expression. There's a tenderness there, a fondness that's ineffable.

In one swift movement, he rests his palm on the side of my face, pulling me closer to his face, holding my gaze for a lingering moment. Part of me wants to indulge in just a moment of simplicity of him, to kiss him and pretend my life isn't a shambles right now.

Instead, I reign in my common sense, pulling away to stare down at my knotted fingers. "Woah, I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Because of Tai, or because you don't want to kiss me?" he murmurs huskily, the roughness of his tone suggesting he doesn't want to escape this moment as desperately as I do. If I allow myself...

"I shouldn't have to explain this to you every time Marek. I'm marrying him," I regard quietly, watching the way the rain pools on the ground, turning the dirt paths into a drowsy sludge.

Marek releases a breath, pulling away. Each time I tell him I'm marrying Tai, I know it's like a slap in the face. He feels strongly about me, and here I am, playing into it while also continuing the facade with Tai. It feels cruel, and I don't want to be that person, yet I fear with every passing moment that I am.

Just admit it to me," he mutters lowly, the tone of his voice melting into the fall of the rain. "Admit you're fucking him, or he's fucking you. However a King likes it."

Despite flinching at his tone, at the vial words he speaks, I understand his sudden outburst. The frustration, the unsure nature of this entire situation...it's getting to him, and it's getting to me. He may not be human, but he is close enough to it to have the same tumultuous emotions that I have. If I were in his position, I'm not sure I would be so refined, especially not around Tai.

Regardless, I'm not going to allow him to think it's okay, whatever the excuse. "You don't get to talk to me like that just because you're jealous."