Chapter 34

Oliver hit the mat hard, the air rushing out of his lungs. John leaned down to offer him a hand up.

"You're not paying attention. The second I went to sweep your leg, you should have immediately moved in to try and get me off balance. You know this. You knew this before we started training together."

Oliver gingerly rose up. Diggle had got him good that time. "I wasn't ready."

"Obviously. You've been distracted from the moment you got here. What gives?"

He shook his head. "We don't have to talk about this."

Diggle grabbed a couple water bottles and a towel, using it to dab at the sweat glistening on his forehead. "Oh, we're talking about this." He threw the second bottle at Oliver and then sat on a tall stack of mats. With a sigh, Oliver joined him, uncapping his water and taking a long drink, stalling for time. All Dig did was look at him and wait.

"Fine. So with the project over, I have a lot on my mind," Oliver explained.

"I'd think with the project over, you'd have less."

"It's just," he shook his head, "I need to make some decisions about my future."

"Ah."

"My mom wants me to lead all the future phases of the Initiative."

Diggle took a swig of his own bottle and then asked, "What do you want?"

"I have some ideas. Ways to be doing more than just swooping into the Glades and putting up new homes and businesses like I have any clue what people living there really need. The Initiative is a start, but unless people have jobs to pay the rent and go shopping, it's not enough."

"What are you thinking?"

"Roy."

"Roy? I'll assume you're not counting up ways to kill him for dating your sister."

"I've been thinking of when he first came to me. He was desperate. All he wanted was a chance to learn. He picked most of it up on the job. I was thinking I could create more opportunities like that. Maybe through the Initiative or maybe something all on my own. It gave Roy a way out of the dead end life the Glades offered. The money and attention ready to be poured into the Glades needs to build up individuals, not just structures."

"Sounds like a great idea to me. The kind of thing others could copy and expand on even. So what's stopping you from starting?"

"I haven't decided if I'm staying."

John smirked. "Felicity's company is going to be based in Starling City, where else would you be?"

"That's assuming she wants me around."

Diggle lost his grin. He put down the water bottle and the towel and crossed his arms—his very muscled arms. He studied him.

"You going to tell me why Felicity would no longer want you around?" The question carried more than a hint of menace.

"You can put the guns away. The last thing I want to do is hurt Felicity."

"And yet you're talking walking away from her. I didn't take you for stupid."

"I don't want to go anywhere."

"Then what's the problem?"

"What if I'm not what she wants?"

John laughed.

Oliver shot him a sour look and the laughter faded even if the amusement didn't.