He continued to talk about his experience and life learnings, until he started to end the speech on a good note.

"Let us all end this chapter of our lives and welcome the new beginning that awaits us as young adults", Chenle ended off his speech. "This is Zhong Chenle, your valedictorian, signing off."

Chenle returned back to his seat and the principal then announced all of us graduated, leading us students to move their tassels to the left and throwing them in the air.

They all headed to their families, but Chenle and Jisung decided to follow Hyerin. She immediately spotted Jungwoo and hugged him tightly.

"Congratulations, Hyerin", Jungwoo congratulated, tears in his eyes. "I'm so proud of you."

"You should've went on stage with me instead!", Hyerin told him, which made Doyoung's eyes go wide.

"I'm so offended right now", Doyoung said in disbelief. "After putting on your makeup. I knew I should've drawn a unibrow on you."

"As if you'd do it", Hyerin replied. She diverted her eyes and looked at Jeno who had a bouquet of flowers.

"Congrats, bub", Jeno smiled as he handed over the flowers. "I'm proud of you."

"Yeah, I think I regret going here instead of to my family", Chenle sighed. "You guys didn't even congratulate me on getting valedictorian. I knew I shouldn't have added the two of you in my speech."

"Congrats, Chenle!", Hyerin and Jisung exclaimed at the same time, leading everyone into laughter.

On the other side of the gym where the graduation was held, was Haechan who was quietly watching the whole graduation. When Hyerin walked up on stage with her brother, he had a big smile on his face. Despite not being able to face her, he kept his promise.

"Excuse me, Sir", Haechan caught the attention of a guy who was watching the graduation. "Can you give this flower to Kim Hyerin, that girl over there."

He pointed at Hyerin and the man happily agreed.

"Thank you so much", Haechan thanked, bowing 90 degrees.

He took his leave, heading somewhere before he leaves for his flight.

"Excuse me, Ms. Kim Hyerin", the man patted Hyerin's shoulder. "Someone asked me to give you this."

"Oh, thank you", Hyerin smiled, gladly accepting the flower. "Who is it from?"

"The person asked to keep their identity a secret", the man said.

"Oh, okay", Hyerin replied as she looked at the flower, looking for a note. "There's a small note."

I kept my promise, Byeol.

Haechan walked slowly, his head filled with thoughts and shoulders down. He entered the tiny space and sat down on the chair. He faced his mother, who was behind a glass barrier and was wearing the usual prisoner attire. It hurt him more than ever.

"Donghyuck, my baby", his mother bursted into tears, seeing his son look at her in this situation. "Why did you visit me?"

"I wanted to ask you something", Haechan answered as his palms were getting sweaty, a lump suddenly forming in his throat that made it hard for him to say it. "Did you... ever love me?"

"Of course I did, baby", his mother cried, her hand on the glass barrier. "I'm sorry if I never made you feel loved. I didn't mean to make it look like I loved Jeno more than you. I'm sorry I couldn't go against your father."

Haechan looked down, his eyes teary.

"I love you so much, my son", his mother assured him with much love.

It was the first time in many years since he heard his mother say that with complete honesty.

"Donghyuck, once I get out of here, I'll make it up to you, okay?", his mother questioned. "I'll spend time with you, I'll cook you your favorite food and watch movies together. I'm sorry."

Haechan couldn't hold back his tears as they slid down his cheeks, one after the other after hearing everything his mother was saying to him. He felt accepted, he felt loved by his own mother.

"Donghyuck, I wish I could hug you", his mother sighed, both her hands on the glass barrier. "You don't have to work in Taiwan if you don't want to. Just stay here in Korea. I'll take care of you when I get out of here."

"Mom, I'm sorry for being a bad son."

"You were never a bad son, Donghyuck. You never were", his mother told him. "I was the bad one."

"Mom, let's move houses when you get out of there, please", he begged. "I want to start a new beginning in my life."

"Of course, Donghyuck. Let's be happy, okay?"

He nodded his head as he looked at his mother. They were both a crying mess. They both wanted to start anew.

"I'll try my best to be happy", Haechan replied, with a bittersweet smile.

[a/n: all of you know the drill, i published the first parts of my new haechan fanfic, sanctuary!! ]