Chapter Four

word count: 8560

_________________

4.1

Pretending not to be interested,
avoiding your eyes
Please understand,
I have to risk my all

_________________

"What made you date me?" Ddalgi suddenly asked after a while.

I glanced at her briefly before returning my gaze in front. We were already approaching city proper. Seoul was bustling with busy humans, pollution and traffic but that only made me relieved. It meant our long, silent journey was coming to an end.

Earlier, after driving out of the village, the car was filled with silence. I really didn't have anything to say. I was too busy thinking of dating spots and also being confused at my thoughts. Do I need to impress her? But why would I? When I didn't want to get married yet? She, too, was silent the whole way. Except for the radio.

And now, she just broke the silence.

And I don't know what to answer.

"What made you date me?"

Because I couldn't stop thinking about you? Because your mixed personality intrigued me? Because I liked your hair? Your smile? Because I liked to talk to you again? Because you made me so fucking confused about my feelings?

Fuck. What am I thinking?

I shrugged and answered instead, "I didn't plan to but I, uh, really had nothing to do." I glanced at her again to see her reaction. She frowned to herself. I continued.

"And besides, you're actually a nice person. Except when you're being a bitch-" She glared at this. "-And I think we could at least be friends before this week ends. This could be our last days together, you know." I looked away.

I don't know, but why does that last statement saddens me?

She didn't reply immediately. Her frown deepened when I glanced at her again.

"Eyes on the road," she muttered instead and looked away. I obliged.

After a moment, she said, "Well, you're right. At least, we had something to report to our parents. A date should show them that we tried and held the end of the bargain." A pause. "We both disliked this arranged marriage. We both don't want to be controlled by our family."

From my peripheral view, I saw as she turned to face me and supplied, "Whether this date goes well or not, we aren't still going to get married, are we?"

I might've heard it wrong but I swear I could hear sadness and disappointment from her tone. Was I hallucinating?

I pursed my lips and contemplated what she had said. Then I opened my mouth and replied, "I already told you. We never know."

I glanced at her briefly and saw that her brows knitted as she gave me a questioning look. Before she could even ask what I meant, I looked away and cut her to it.

"And you? What made you wait for me? And don't make excuses again. It's obvious that you've waited for me...for this date. Why?" I finally had the guts to ask.

"You're conceited," she muttered.

"Then look me in the eye and tell me its a lie," I challenged with my brow raised. I heard her sigh in defeat.

"I told you, I was curious whether you're serious about the date or not. So yeah, I guess, I w-waited for y-you." I could tell without even looking at her that she was blushing. I glanced at her and my suspicion was confirmed.