The boy straightened out, realizing for the first time that he was the leader of this mission. It was up to him to see it through to the best of his abilities as a hero would. "Right," he muttered, not exactly pleased with this new revelation.

  The little gravel walkway was normal; the little beanbag toys shaped like monsters, however, were not. They lined up strategically along the edges of the rocks and Judith swore they were following the demigods with their button eyes. She wouldn't mind drop kicking them off the cliff or taking a golf club to them, that would be a good release for anger. But she couldn't be sure that Ms. Castellan wouldn't come for her head over it.

  The front porch was infested with wind chimes made of sea glass, regular glass, and bits of scrap metal. Altogether, the sound wasn't pleasant, it was quite obnoxious. Percy went to tap one to make it jingle more and she caught his wrist before he got the chance. His eyes flickered to her and he nodded. "You're right. Could be cursed or something."

  She didn't even try to argue that that wasn't why she stopped him. Judith was just glad that he complied. Though, a cursed wind chime didn't sound too far-fetched.

  Coming up to the welcome mat, Judith was sure that the front door was once painted a vibrant turquoise — it would have totally fit the eccentric theme — but it was now a dull withered blue-green. The name CASTELLAN was written in English upon a small little plaque, and below in Greek: Διοικητής φρουρίου. The words roughly translated in Judith's head, and she was sure in the boys' heads as well.

  Fortress Commander. The origin of the Castellan surname.

  Nico looked over his shoulder, knuckles poised an inch from the wooden door. "Ready?"

  "No," Percy answered honestly and Judith rolled her eyes and said, "Just do it."

  He'd barely even tapped the door when it swung open with a suction of air, it left them all breathless for a moment. And before they could maybe think of inhaling, the lady in front of them was taking the oxygen away again.

  "Luke!" the old lady cried joyfully with glistening eyes.

  She was a total wreck, Judith had to admit. The woman couldn't have been more than fifty, and yet, her hair was fully white and falling out, there wasn't a spot on her face that wasn't marred with wrinkles, and her eyes — although electrified — looked weary and worn out. But boy, could she move. She had already tackled Nico in a hug.

  "Oh, my dear boy!" Her voice was muffled in the boy's big jacket. Judith couldn't even prepare herself for a smothering of her own before it came. "And Thalia! It's so good to see you again!"

  Judith couldn't even move, she had no idea what was happening, or what to even do about it. And neither did the boys, apparently. The girl was thankful when she was released and made sure to take a big step away.

  Percy was next, and he knew what was coming, hesitantly opening his arms to accept his fate. "Luke!" She cried again. "Come in!" she insisted. "I have your lunch ready!"

  It wasn't even ten in the morning yet, but that didn't seem to bother the woman. She ushered the kids inside with a lot of prompting. The living room was even weirder than the front lawn, if that was even possible. Mirrors and candles filled every available space, lighting up the area with an orange and inescapable glow. Judith and Percy made eye contact in a nearby mirror and they both looked completely clueless as to what was going on.

  "This way, my dears!" Ms. Castellan steered them toward the back of the house where the kitchen and dining area was, and Judith was thankful for a moment that this area wasn't completely surrounded in candles. But she took that back as soon as she got a whiff of the kitchen. It was dreadful and sickening. "Oh, I told them you would come back. I knew it!"