Chapter 29 • The Best News

Start from the beginning

"Better?"

I grin, leaning back from our hug, "Much. Thank you."

"Good," he leans down and I meet him half way for a kiss. "Think we should head back in now?"

"Yeah, sure. My dad should be getting here soon anyway. He's an early arriver, as you know."

"Like you?"

"Yes, like me. C'mon, we're only two houses away now," I encourage him and we continue on at a brisk pace. "I'm nervous to tell him. Wait. Let me rephrase that; I'm more excited. He's going to be so happy."

"Of course he is. One thing is for sure, our twins will not run out of love in our family."

His words make me smile and the sound of a car engine captures my attention. I look over to see a gray sedan slowly pull up to the curb and it stops. I can't control my smile as I guide Harry to stop walking with Maggie and I wave back at my dad who looks somewhat confused.

"He just pulled up. Remember our plan; we're gonna tell him and your mum at the same time and she's going to act surprised."

He gives a quick reply and my dad calls out our names, walking up the driveway toward us. He's dressed in a nice suit and carrying a small bouquet of flowers that I know are for Anne.

"Hi, Dad."

"Hello there, peanut," he grins, walking over to me. He embraces me in a hug and kisses my cheek. "I wasn't expecting you two to be here, but I'm glad."

"Yeah? Why's that?"

"Because I'm a barrel of nerves right now. How's my suit? Am I presentable enough?"

I reach up and brush some fuzz from his shoulder, "You're very handsome and you smell good, too."

"Thanks," he exhales a breath, turning his attention to Harry. "How are you, Son?"

"I'm wonderful, sir," Harry extends his hand and my dad accepts it in the cordial gesture. "I would reciprocate the question, but I think we all know the answer."

Dad laughs nervously, "Yes, well, it is my first date in over thirty years, but I do remember how to treat a lady. I've brought her some flowers."

"That's good. I know she'll love them. Shall we go in now?"

Dad blows out a nervous breath, "Yes, I suppose we should. Even though I'm early, I don't want to keep her waiting."

We start walking up the driveway to the porch and I guide Harry to stop.

"You can ring the bell. We'll keep out of the way," I offer and Dad clears his throat.

"Thank you, JJ. Alright, I'm going to ring the doorbell now."

His nervousness makes me smile and I glance up at Harry who looks just as nervous as my dad. They're nervous for different reasons and I can barely contain myself as the door opens.

"Hello, Leo," Anne smiles, fidgeting with her royal blue sun dress.

She looks smashing with her hair done up and a bit more makeup than I remember seeing her usually wear, so I assume she's nervous as well.

"Good evening, Anne. You look positively breathtaking, but then again, you always do."

It's as if my dad has forgotten we're here and it's just the two of them in their little world. I quietly clear my throat and that seems to snap him back to the moment.

"Uhm, these are for you," he says, holding out the small bouquet of flowers.

"Oh, they're beautiful. Thank you," Anne smiles, bringing the small bouquet up to her nose. "Mm, they smell delicious. Would you like to come in while I put these in some water?"