The Story (Part 9)

Depuis le début

-It's nice to meet you, Mr. Davids.- she said and I nodded my head while humming quietly. I wanted to smile back at her because her grin seemed so contagious to me, but I just couldn't. My face did not put itself in a smiling position for so long, so it was impossible for me to do so.

-Would you like a drink or anything?- Mrs. Grayson asked me, which snapped me out of my thoughts.
-Uh, no thanks. I'm good.- I responded as my body moved in order for me to sit on their couch. I placed my bag on the table in front of the couch. All three of them took it as a sign that they should sit down as well.

-So, how are you?- Grayson asked me and I scowled at him when I heard his question. He leaves the company and then asks me how I am?
-Not too bad. I see that you look like such a perfect family now.- I pointed out and they all smiled before I noticed that the look on Emma's face reflected confusion.

-What do you mean?- she spoke up, making my breath hitch and my eyes go wide once again.
-I mean, I see that you look like such a perfect family...in general. That is rare nowadays.- I tried to get myself out of this uncomfortable situation. Emma kept being silent for a little while while she stared at her folded hands that were placed on her lap.

-Oh! Mom, you said that we were about to have dinner before Mr. Davids came. Would you like eat with us?- Emma said while looking at me. She seemed so serious. A real young woman. It was the right choice of mine to get her as far as possible from me for a few years. She is happy and not in my way and in the way of my business.

-No thank you, Emma. I'm not hungry.- I told her and she nodded.
-I will go set up the plates for us.- she added and Grayson nodded his head in approval.

-How old is she now?- I asked both of them in a whispering tone once she went to the dinning room and shut the door behind her.
-She is 25.- Grayson's wife whispered back quickly. Wow. She has really grown into a kind, loving and caring person...just like her real mother.

-We never got to thank you for giving her to us, Davids. I know that she was in a tough position while being a part of your life. Her life is easier now that she is with us.- Grayson mentioned and I replied by nodding my head.

-Yes. The company is desperate back in Eroda and they need me to come back. Cowards.- I mentioned and Grayson just smirked at my comment.
-That was why I left, I guess. I did not want to be a part of something so weak. Plus, now that Emma is with us, I am not planning on doing anything like that anytime soon.

-Well, we are much stronger now, so I did not see the point in you leaving, but you are right about Emma.- I replied to him and we created an uncomfortable silence between us.

-I am actually happy that my husband did not get himself in such a bad job. I would've been desperate if I found out that he was woeking with such dickheads and evil people who only commit crimes for money.- I heard Mrs. Grayson say and I suddenly turned to face her with a monotone and unamused expression. I found her words very offensive.

-No offense, though.- she quickly added and I snickered under my breath.
-That's what broken people do, Mariah. They commit crimes inorder to make money.- I explained to her as I stared at the wall in front of me.

-Yeah, but don't you think that it's a little bit too much? I mean, you killed a man and suddenly turned to alcohol like some kind of a psychopath. Your wife left you. Then you wanted to get the kids out of your way on the path of evil by wanting to give them away to other families. Now you are leading a company that is nothing but rubbish and you have nothing in your life.

Her words that showed how she saw my life have really been building up my anger. I did not like when people underestimated me like that. I have done a lot of bad things, but that does not mean that people can still talk to me like some piece of shit.

-Listen. I do not fucking care about what you think. Your head is too stupid to understand anyway, so how about you shut your mouth and mind your own business?- I snapped while my body shifted as I got up and the tone in my voice got a lot louder.

-Hey, I wasn't...-
-I do not fucking care about what you were and were not trying to say. All of you women are the same. You never see how you are and always try to see people in a bad light. I bet you do not even care about my child because you are not her mother! So shut the fuck up and stop acting like a bitch!- I screamed at her and saw her become terrified...and I liked it. People need to know not to mess with me.

-Hey! Stop talking to my wife like that!- Grayson yelled at me and I turned to him before scowling at him and making my face look even more angry. My actions forced him to sit down in fear before I walked to the hanger where I placed my coat and put it on again.

-I am leaving.- I said before taking my bag from the table and quickly walking towards the apartment door. My body walked through it and I loudly shut the door behind me.

I was not going  listen to her speak to me like that.

____________________________