Chapter One

The trees outside swayed left to right melodiously, as if they were dancing to the same song Wafa was swaying to. She moved in sync with Harry Styles' voice, singing as if this was her own concert. To the outside eye, it seemed like she was having the time of her life.
          But here she was, just trying to let go of the pain in her heart, just like always. Her messy room gave her an excuse to clean, allowing her to divert her mind. When she realized that her attempts to move on were not working, Wafa grabbed her journal and decided to walk to the park.

Sunday, June 11th
5:06pm

         I wish I could understand what I wanted, but as much as I try to, I just cannot. I don't know what I want from my life. I don't know what I want to do. But it seems like when one turns the "golden" age of 18, they are supposed to have a wise decision already made.
        I wish Abba would understand my dilemma, but my uncertainty makes him believe that I am irresponsible. How do I tell him that I just don't know?
         Oh, how I wish you hadn't moved away so far Beena. Your words always calmed Abba down. I can only do some, before he gets mad at me again.
        The only thing I know I need from life is love.

          Wafa's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the sound of lightning. The clouds had turned into a dark grey, promising rain and thunder. The sound of thunder and lightning had always scared Wafa, but she always put a strong front. She did not want to seem weak to others.

          Her frantic footsteps took her home, but as soon as she opened the front door, she heard Abba's voice.

          "Where have you been? Why can't this girl ever do what I say for gods sake? Do you know how unsafe it is to just leave without telling anyone?" Abba chided.

           His loud voice sounded scarier than the thunder to Wafa, but just like always, she held her ground strong and just stood there. This time, she did not have the energy to talk back. She was tired. Of everything. Nodding slightly, she turned away from Abba, and walked to her room.

          "Will this girl ever leave her damn room? She is always stuck in there." Abba's voice could be heard so clearly, even in her room. Wafa heard his words, but she did not let the words reach her brain. She did not want to deal with the pain again. She was tired.

          Putting in her headphones, and playing the first song in her sad playlist, Wafa rest her head on the pillow and let her eyes close. She knew she couldn't sleep, but this was the only way she could seek silence.

          The next morning, Wafa woke up to the sound of the tornado siren. Every Monday at 12:00 pm, the city would test the tornado siren. It wasn't loud, but it did the job and grabbed everyone's attention. Looking at the clock, she realized that she had woken up late once again. Sighing loudly, she prepared herself to hear her mom's comments about how much she slept. 

Hi everyone!! Please give me some insight on what you think :)