fifteen

"may?"

"may?"

may stared at richie. her glared seemed to be only getting harsher. the overall sadness she felt moments ago when she was alone with beverly had been replaced with anger.
richie had led may into his trap and broke her more than she had already been.

"what are you doing here?"

"could ask you the same thing," beverly quickly interjected. richie brushed off bevs comment and left his gaze on may. he noticed how her under eye circles were darker, and her lips were chapped. these details threw richie slightly off guard because he knew how well may took care of herself.

"ive been looking for you all week," richie mumbled out and stepped closer to may. she harshly took a step backwards. "where have you been?"

"where have i been?" may asked, her voice cracking before she could end the sentence. "what a-about where you have been?"

"what are you talking about?" richie questioned, hardening his stare.

may rolled her eyes. she could already feel the warm tears prickling at her eyes. may hated thinking about richie at all, and she hated having to go back to that place.

"you cheated on me," she murmured while wrapping her arms around her torso. her voice was weak and broken.
richie widened his eyes at her statement before clearing his throat. he took a step closer to the girls.

"I don't know what-"

"dont pretend like it didn't happen richie!" beverly snarled under her breathe before walking closer to him. her temper had only gone up as the conversation had started. "how could you hurt her? you saw the way she looked at you, richie! the way she acted around you!"

"may..." richie said in a quieter tone. he looked at her with eyes full of guilt. may twisted her head lightly to the left as she brought her hand to her eyes.

"oh god," may cried out. her chest bounced with ever sob that escaped past her lips. her chest was heavy with a sadness she had never felt before. the flowers he had planted in her chest had died and turned to ash.

"richie how the fuck could you cheat on her?!" beverly screamed as she started to point her fingers at him. "you broke her! she's broken richie!"

"you think I don't know that?!" richie yelled, his voice cracking in the process.

"do you really know?" beverly shouted, the words straining her voice, "why don't you ask may how she feels!"

richie puffed air out of his nostrils as he held his temples in his hands. he took a few deep breathes before turning to the girl.

may stood with her shoulders slouched and with her face covered. some cried could be heard but not many.

"may?" richie asked.

may lifted her head to look at him. wet tear trails stained her flushed cheeks. her black mascara was starting to smear under her eyes from her wiping her face. may took a breath before opening her mouth to speak.

"how do you think i feel richie?"

"may look, i'm sorry-"

"you're sorry?" may asked, hurt in her voice as she forced a soft chuckle. "if you were truly sorry than you wouldn't have done it in the first place."

"i know, just please let me explain—"

"i did everything for you," may cried softly, holding herself tighter than before. "i took care of you a-and looked after you..."

"may please—"

"i broke all my rules for you," may muttered as more tears started to flood her cheeks.

"i didn't ask you to!" richies yelled, trying to finally get one thought out without being interrupted.

he watched as mays face fell more. her heart shatter at the sound of those few words. she choked back a sob as she held one of her hands over her mouth. she fixed her vision on the ground as she twisted her feet to start walking away from the field.

"no! may wait!" richie called after her. he started to run to catch up with her. he grabbed her wrist to keep her from walking away. "i didn't mean it like that!"

may ripped her wrist out of his hands and turned around. "you really meant you'd risk it all, i just didn't think it meant us."

may stared at him as she started to walk away backwards. then she turned around on her heels and ran all the way down the football field. she couldn't control her tears any longer and eventually she broke down.
as she sprinted down the grass she finally processed what had just happened. as much as she didn't want to, may thought about richie. was he even upset? had he cried too? may shook the ideas out of his mind. of course he hadn't.

may knew exactly why there was a fowl taste in her mouth. loving him tasted like heartache and war.

what she didn't know was that he was thinking of her. the silence between him and beverly was so painfully loud. he was utterly afraid of what he had become. how could he have taken all of mays light and turned it dull? richie held his head in his hands as he watched may slipped between his fingertips.

may stomped aimlessly toward the seniors only parking lot. tears blurred her vision but she knew her feet would lead her to the right place. the pale blue car sitting in the back parking lot corner.

belch and vic stood outside the car smoking cigarettes. vic was laughing as his eyes fought sight of the state may was in. he was quick to stomp out is cigarette and get patrick's attention.

"what is it vic?" patrick mumbled rubbing his eyes. he opened the car door and looking around the parking lot.

soon enough the small girl came into his eyesight. her hair was messy and so was her make up. he noticed the red, glassy eyes and the soft sniffs coming from may right away. patrick rushed out out of the car and to her. he scooped her up and into his arms.

"patrick," she cried softly into his shirt. patrick placed one of his hands on the back of mays head while the other was rubbing her back.

"oh baby," patrick coed gently into her ear as he tighten the hug. "what happened?"

"you were right," may sobbed, staining the cotton of his tank top.

patrick furrowed his brows as he pulled away from the hug a little. he cupped both of her cheeks in his hands and trailed his thumbs under her eyes. "right about what, babes?"

"about him," she sniffled, turning into his touch. "he took my love and broke my heart."