⁰¹the stranger with burns

have you ever had your whole day ruined by a single person? woke up feeling excited to eat breakfast when you realized there was no milk left? finally gathered the courage to wear an outfit, and immediately proceed to drop ketchup on it? yeah, we've all been there.

"out of the way, faggot." were the first words someone had spoken to tomura that day- that as well as a shove.

the blue-haired male wasn't expecting such a forceful push, making him trip over his feet and lose his balance, hardly having the time to react to what was going on and face meeting the concrete, the books that were in his hands now sprawled on the ground. and just like that, his day was ruined by an event that lasted seconds.

he groaned as he planted his palms down, arms aching as he pushed his heavy body off the ground, a scowling expression on his face as he glared at the group that hit him, an unpleasant sigh leaving his dry lips when he noticed some of his books now sitting in shallow puddles of water. he shook his head and picked himself up, grabbing his things and trying to swipe the water off, grimacing at the texture of soaked paper.

"what happened?" tomura glanced behind him, spotting himiko leaning towards him with her fingers latched around the straps of her bag, eyebrows upturned in worry. "your things are all wet.."

"i tripped." he dusted his clothes, "nothing more than that."

himiko shrugged and skipped to him, looping her arm around his and pulling him close to her, "there, now you won't trip anymore." she smiled at him.

despite himiko being popular in school, she was still best friends with tomura. they had met during their first year of high school, bonding over having quirks that were more suitable for villains than heroes. tomura looked down at her, a smile pulling at his lips. even though she was a shorter than most people at school, that didn't stop her from standing up for her friends, especially for tomura when he had been caught in fights or been victim of verbal bullying. even he would be too afraid to mess with her if they weren't friends.

"who's that?"

his eyes looked to where she was pointing to, staring at a stranger that was perched against the wall of their school, smoke surrounding them as they pressed their hand to their face, pulling away and exhaling. tomura furrowed his eyebrows, trying to squint to recognize the face, groaning as he gave in and pulled out his glasses, stunned that the person was smoking on school grounds. "do you think he's a student?" he muttered.

"no way," himiko pulled him along, "he looks at least twenty-five years-old, probably a new teacher."

tomura kept watching the smoking stranger until he was nudged in the shoulder, nearly falling over before himiko held him up, both raising their eyes to the spiky haired blond that was smirking at them, chin held up as if he was looking down at them. tomura scoff and pulled his friend along, pulling on the sleeve of her sweater before she had time to roll them up and start swinging. "there's no use," he spoke, "you know katsuki could take us both out if he really wanted to."

"that doesn't mean he isn't a jerk." she practically yelled in his direction, her face now scrunched in anger, "he's such an asshole."

he laughed and pulled himiko along towards their classroom. they weren't in every class together, but he didn't really mind, there were times where he needed to be alone; her enthusiasm would sometimes tire him, and having a few hours to himself recharged him. they took a seat at the back like they always did, continuing to talk as the large classroom filled with students.

having a good quirk could be compared to coming from a rich family in their school. the students who were most popular often came from families whose parents were high in the pro hero ranking system, or were talented enough to earn a scholarship. most students fit in the middle-class area of the school; not popular enough to be treated like kings, and not unpopular enough to be treated like trash. himiko ranked in the middle-class area, tomura in the lower solely due to his appearance.

he rested his head in his gloved hand, focusing on the teacher as she began the class. he had always been in the lowest ranking, for as long as he could remember. on top of having a villainous quirk, he also looked like a monster. tomura blew a strand of hair out of his face. he was used to being treated like shit- at this point it didn't really bother him.

"sorry i'm late."

everyone's heads turned to the door, tomura's eyes widening at the sight of the man smoking just a few minutes prior, watching him tread to an empty desk at the end of his row. "i guess he's not a teacher.." himiko nudged his arm.

tomura kept looking at him. he had these dark burn marks that covered a large part of his face and neck, hands also covered, with piercings along his ears and nose. tomura had never seen anyone like him.

———

hi everyone! this is my first ever
shigadabi fanfic and i'm super
super pumped to write it, and hopefully
you're pumped to read it :)