Ch 71: Wait for You, Farewell Letters

**

The pale crescent moon shines down like a silvery claw in the night.

Yuan Zi Yan and Xu Kai is now strolling along a river near the up-roaring city. They take a seat on a smooth stone, resting beside each other.

The two watch the blanket of stars that stretch to infinity. Stars of all sorts of colors and shapes disperse randomly across the sky. "Sir, didn't we release our lanterns here during the Mid-Autumn Festival?"

The corner of Xu Kai's lips twirl up, "We did. It's quite a while ago."

Quite a while. That is a poignant reminder of the passing of time.

Zi Yan looks down to the ground sullenly, "Sir-"

"—I'm afraid."

He places all his attention on her. With concern, he inquires, "Why?"

The Elder Miss turns to Xu Kai with a morose smile, "I am just so happy. Happiness like this is frightening."

Xu Kai's conveys a puzzled expression, as if he does not comprehend the hidden meaning behind her words. "How so?"

She whispers, "The Heavens.."

"..Only allows us to be this happy if they are preparing to take something precious away from us."

Zi Yan continues the conversation while gazing at the moon: "You know, Sir.. I had a dream."

"The dream takes place in a society very distinct from where we live in now. It is where you and I are not together, where I am a completely different person. It's a bittersweet world."

"Sir, what would you do if I just disappear one day?"

His head is facing the sky as he says, "That's simple." He then fixates his gaze at the Elder Miss, "I will wait."

"—Wait until you come back to me."

"And what if.." She insists, "What if I never come back?"

He gradually pulls something out from his pockets. Unfolding the cover, he reveals the peach flower hair pin. "I, Xu Kai, will only love one woman in my lifetime." He locks eyes with Zi Yan. "I may not be able to give you the world but I will give you everything I have."

"This peach flower hair pin will serve as my promise to you, to wait for you at the edge of the shadows, burning like the light from a candle, flickering in a whistling wind. Even one million miles away and two worlds apart, I will wait for you."

"Yuan Zi Yan, would you do the honor of living in conjugal bliss to a ripe old age with me?"

She knows they don't have a future together, that their story will soon come to an end. Her mind tells her No yet her heart says Yes. She knows agreeing will only hurt him in the end, yet why can't she tell him No?

The Elder Miss tears up, "Even with my bad temper and habits? Even if I become bald and have a distorted face?"

"Yes." He nods with a gentle smile, "Even when you have a bad temper and habit. Even when you're bald and your face is distorted."

"I wouldn't even like myself if I was bald, so you have balls." She smacks him across the shoulder while sniffing, "Sir, you took too long."

"Wait..." Her eyes suddenly sparkle with curiosity, "Is this peach flower hairpin the reason why you didn't want me to buy a hairpin today?"

"..."

"Oh ho, you're jealous that I favor the other hairpin over yours. How cute," teases Zi Yan.

He gently pinches her cheeks, "Who do you think I was stressing over the whole day?"

"OW-OW! I get it, I get it!" She rubs her cheeks, "Meanie."

Her eyes glitter again with excitement as she sights the intricately made peach flower hairpin, "Sir, help me wear it!"

Sir Xu laughs quietly, a short huff of air out his nose that is barely perceptible, "Alright, alright." He takes the hairpin and inserts it in the braided bun in her hair, "There."

Yuan Zi Yan feels the hair pin on her hair while wobbling in joy. "Sir, since when did you begin to like me?"

"Hmm," He wonders before proceeding, "Good question."

"WH-WHA! How do you not know!"

Laughter fills the midnight air. Their conversation continues and continues until Yuan Zi Yan eventually falls asleep on Xu Kai's shoulders.

Indeed, the days following this magical day proceeds smoothly.

The maid who attempted to harm Zi Yan is captured, the Eighth Prince as well as all of his followers are executed, and General Li dedicates a majority of her time to take care of the heavily injured Wu Lan Jun. Scholar Li continues his journey to discovering more herbs and researching the utilization of various plants.

Yuan Zi Yan and Xu Kai spend their days together as any couple would. Days and months go by, as they create memories that would last a lifetime. Zi Yan treasures every moment with Sir Xu, for she knows everything can change in a blink of an eye.

Winter passes and she wants to spend the day with him one more time, to give him one more hug, to hear his voice once again. Her pleasure derives from viewing the tawny leaves, the wide horizon, and the enduring constellations with Xu Kai.

Winter ends, so comes Spring. Xu Kai can always hear the deep breaths Zi Yan takes, yet he can never understand them. Her sigh-- He can never contemplate the depth of it. But it's okay. He will hold her in his embrace.

Good times don't last long.

And for Yuan Zi Yan, her precious days will soon terminate. She knows because in a midsummer night before sleeping, she sees her feet suddenly disappear and revert back.

A great tremor takes over Zi Yan, as she reminisces back to what Kun Xiao said. She feels a tightening in her throat and a short intake of breath. Complete hopelessness converts into tears that rain down her face. A thought whirls through her head.

She picks up several pieces of papers. A great sob escapes her as she begins to write with her shaking hands.

Write what?

Farewell letters.