Ch 59: The Reveal, Rong Yi's Efforts

Interesting fact: According to the John Hopkins University, each person with SARS-CoV-2 AKA the Coronavirus Disease 2019 on average will infect 2-3 other people. This reproductive number of 2-3 is very similar to that of the influenza virus (the flu).

Enjoy the story? Please feed this amateur author some votes and comments! 6OvO9

**

"I will be gone by today.. so it will be fine to tell you." Kun Xiao gulps, "After seeing our abilities, the Eighth Prince wanted us to work for him. Upon completing what he wants, he will grant us whatever we want." He laughs pathetically, "But I guess all of that is no use now."

"Is there anything I can do to help..?" I inquire, hoping to ignite a spark of hope.

He shakes his head, "Help yourself, Zi Yan. It has been almost a year since I been here. I am not sure how long you have been here, but I don't think you have long. Remember: if you have a soft heart, you will disappear and never return back to the present."

We converse for some time again. When our conversation is finished, I exit the cell. The thought of returning to the present lingers in my mind.

Sir Xu seems to ask me something but I am in my cloud of thoughts. I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Huh?"

There is a sustained meeting of our eyes. I break off the eye contact, preventing my mental state from being discovered. The thought of not being able to see Sir Xu anymore...

"Zi Yan, how was it? You seem dazed out. Did something happen?"

I pat my face, "Sorry, Sir. Kun Xiao.. He is willing to help you write an attestation."

He pats me on the head, "You did it. Good job." He bends down to my eye level, "Lighten up a bit. I will take it from here. I will have one of the guards take you back."

I nod slowly before seeing Sir Xu enter and close the cell door. Somehow, a feeling of easiness fills me.

When I arrive back to the Yuan Manor, Xiu Ying approaches me and walks me back to my room. She says, "Elder Miss, did something happen? You don't seem like yourself."

"I am alright, Xiu Ying. Just tired. I will take my rest now." Entering my room, I inhale and exhale a deep breath.

"Ah, this early?" Xiu Ying scratches her brow. "Then.. Xiu Ying will go clean up the yard now. Enjoy your rest, Elder Miss."

I faintly nod and smile. I close my door and lay on the bed. Hopeless and empty.

**

KNOCK!

I awake. I rub my eyes: "Xiu Ying, I am not hungry yet.."

A familiar voice speaks, "Zi Yan, it's me Rong Yi."

"Tenth Prince?" Swiftly wearing my shoes, I open the door. "Your Highness, is something the matter? Which wind blows you here?"

"Come," He smiles as he holds my hand and drags me out the room, "I want to bring you somewhere."

"Wait--What about my mother and father?"

He acknowledges, "I spoke to them already. They were compliant." Raising my head, I notice his lips form a smile.

As we saunter, I notice that Rong Yi is dressed in his casual clothing today. I have an urge to resist his offer, but I have to consider his upper position. "Where are we heading?"

The Tenth Prince leads me into the horse carriage located outside of the Manor. "You'll see."

The trip is quite short. We soon reach a red and gold Buddhist temple, with pots of trees on the stairway leading into the temple entrance. "Temple?" I wonder aloud, glancing out the window.

"Zi Yan, do you remember? This place is where we first met." He anticipates for me to suddenly say that I have some sort of memory, but I slowly shake my head in guilt.

I frown and rotate my eyes to the ground, "Sorry, Tenth Prince. I have no memories of it."

Somehow, I feel very bad. I feel as if I cheated him, as if it was me who erased the precious memories he built with the original Yuan Zi Yan.

He took me to the garden, where a willow tree resides, "You remember this.. right? Five years ago, we made a promise under this tree." His sanguine and sparkling eyes turn toward me, awaiting for my response.

I shake my head. "Unfortunately, I don't."

He sinks into despair, but nonetheless brings me to another place. "How about this? You must remember this.. We used to always hang out in this stairway at night. You stole a meat bun for me once, haha... ha.."

I indicate a negative response.

"A-And this?" He points to a worn down stairway near the temple's well, "We would frequently watch the moon from here."

Shaking my head once again, the feeling of empathy engulfs me. His desperation makes me feel terrible. Should I just tell him I do remember, even though it is a lie? I do not want to hurt him; yet, I don't want to lie to him either.

"I am sorry, Tenth Prince." I offer a heartfelt apology. Trying to keep a sense of balance, I add "Like I said before, I have no memories of my past. I am practically another person."

"Maybe one day, you will? Until that day.." He grins with melancholy, "..I won't give up."

Soon, the night begins to fall. The Tenth Prince receives a note from a servant, "Li Manor? It seems Scholar Li is holding a gathering and he is inviting everyone who contributed in the mission."

We both arrive in the Li Manor upon hearing about the gathering.

"Oh, you guys have arrived," input Scholar Li, who is standing at the door. "Welcome!"

I can feel Sir Xu's stare from the other side.

The Tenth Prince smiles. He wraps his arms around me, "We had lots of fun together today."

"Your Highness," announces Sir Xu as he approaches us, "It does not seem like Zi Yan favor being so close to you."

I laugh nervously.

The Tenth Prince scoffs, "He whose surname is Xu, how would you know how she feels?"

Sir Xu raises his brows, "You can ask her yourself." He glances at me for a response.

My eyes are almost popping out of my eyes. I mumble out of my breath: Are you trying to get me killed?

"Zi Yan, tell him that you are fine with this."

Scholar Li attempts to relieve the conversation by directing everyone inside the dinner table. "Time for dinner!"