02. Losing Toads and Tempers.

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act i , a lovelorn lockaby
chapter two , losing toads and tempers

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖ THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS ➖september 1991

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS
september 1991

       "WHAT DO YOU MEAN you didn't go with them to Diagon Alley?"

       The few days that once stood between the Lockaby children and their trip to Hogwarts had passed them by in a series of shouting matches, shoes being thrown and the overall anxiety that came with packing the majority of their belongings into one suitcase.

       Now, by some miracle, the family had arrived on the platform with ten minutes to spare before the departure of the scarlet steam engine, that puffed clouds of smoke from its funnel, before them.

       After dragging her two siblings out of their awestruck dazes from looking on the engine in wonder, Dria had taken them — with their trolleys, clicking in time with their steps — to one of the platform stewards, a balding man in his forties, who assured them he'd packed with the upmost care. Although, Dria could have sworn the second she turned her back, she saw him throw their luggage very unceremoniously into the carriage.

       And now the three of them returned empty-handed — with the exception of the cat carrier, containing Figaro, held tightly in Dria's grasp — to where they'd left their parents across the platform minutes prior. And it came as no surprise to Dria when the sound of raised voice cut through the air as they neared the pair.

Allan Lockaby looked on his ex-wife incredulously as she clearly had relayed to him, in some way or another, the fact that she hadn't accompanied their children to get their school supplies.

"I had other things to do, Al."

"Jules, it's important—!" His eyes widened in desperation as he took a hand through his dark hair, clenching his jaw — a nervous habit he shared with his son. "They were getting their first wands, for Merlin's sake!"