36. Milkshakes and Murderers

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act iii , turning tables
chapter thirty-six, milkshakes and murderers

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA ( & KIPPER ) LOCKABY ➖august 1993

DRIA ( & KIPPER ) LOCKABY
august 1993

        DRIA HAD HEARD DREADFUL things about the effects of alcohol — she'd even seen it firsthand on that New Year's Day when her mother had been practically bed bound after having the best part of three bottles of wine the night before — however, nothing could have ever prepared her for how she felt when she opened her eyes, the morning after the house party.

The smallest bit of light that cracked through the blinds felt like someone was forcing her to look directly at the sun, and the pounding in her head was very disorientating as she attempted to rise to her feet. Her mouth felt incredibly dry — it was as though she'd eaten sand and couldn't scrape it off her tongue — as she tried to navigate her way to kitchen to grab herself a glass of water.

She sat opposite Penny at breakfast whose head was firmly placed on the kitchen island where they sat, as Dria groaned into her morning cornflakes with Tess' sunglasses placed firmly on the bridge of her nose. She tried to will herself to eat, however nothing quite satisfied her other her glass of water which she'd already refilled four times.

The Lockaby girl had a very adverse reaction to when Millie had creeped down the stairs and began to clear off the island, sweeping cups into a black bin bag, and unveiling some leftover cupcakes from beneath a tea towel. The blonde could have sworn the mere sight of them had her stomach doing somersaults. With a large exhale, and turning her head away from the baked goods, she flared her nostrils and boldly stated:

"I am never eating cupcakes again."

        After another spoonful or two (and another glass of water), to Dria's great displeasure, Jackie came bounding down the stairs with a bright smile on her face and skipped over to the island.