Epilogue

RIIIIIIIIIIIING! RIIIIIIIIING!

Helga G. Pataki fell out of bed. The nine-year old girl lunged for her alarm clock to both silence it and check the time.

"Criminy! I'm going to be late!"

Luckily the alarm clock was only a back-up; she still had time, but she would have to rush. Helga left her room, running downstairs to the kitchen while simultaneously brushing her teeth.

A bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Miriam was waiting for her with a paper-bag lunch.

"Mom...!" said Helga, somewhat out of surprise.

"I thought you might've overslept," explained Miriam, handing her the bag. "Think of it as a pre-emptive strike."

"But it's Saturday. You didn't have to..."

"Up-up-up!" interrupted Miriam. "Didn't want you to be late – you're meeting Phoebe today, right? I packed your favorite sandwich with the crust cut off, a Yahoo! soda, and I made you a fresh fruit salad, no strawberries."

Helga looked up at her mother with an appreciative glance. "Thanks, Mom. You're the greatest."

"Hey, there she is!" Big Bob entered the kitchen with both arms outstretched, ready to capture Helga in a hug and swing her around. "There's my favorite only daughter! How ya doin' this morning, Helga?"

"I'm fine, Dad," replied Helga, as Big Bob set her back on the ground. "But aren't you forgetting something?"

"Hmm...no, don't think so..."

Miriam nudged Big Bob harshly with her elbow. "B...Your eldest daughter, Olga?"

"Oh yeah...ah, she's not here right now, so no harm done."

"Listen, I gotta get going," Helga said, heading for the door. "I'll see you guys later. Love you!"

"Love you too, honey!" Big Bob and Miriam said in unison.

---

As Helga ran down the sidewalk, a city bus drove down the street in the opposite direction. A few blocks past the Pataki household, Rhonda stepped off at the bus stop. She adjusted her clunky, unfashionable glasses that sat lopsided on her face (courtesy of lopsided ears), but she had a smile on her face.

As she walked down the block, she passed a group of three young girls (among them Gerald's sister Timberly), playing double-dutch. She paused in front of them and sighed, shaking her head.

"Oh no no no no no – this simply won't do," she said. "Hold my bag, please."

Timberly took the bag as Rhonda took her place in double-dutch. She instructed the girls to spin the ropes as fast as they possibly could, and she jumped in. Without missing a beat, Rhonda pulled off a couple quick tricks and elaborate stunts before jumping out of the circle, leaving the three girls in total awe.

Rhonda took her bag from Timberly. "And that's how it's done." she said, slightly out of breath, before continuing down the sidewalk.

"Who was THAT?" said one of the girls.

"Her name's Rhonda - she's in my big brother's grade at school," replied Timberly.

"THAT...was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life," said the third girl. Timberly and the other girl couldn't help but agree with that sentiment.

---

Meanwhile, at the Heyerdahl household, Phoebe was still getting ready in her room. After she finished brushing her hair, she quickly glanced at her work desk. On it, her geography homework was splayed out and untouched.