24 ' scout

Even after the school trip, Sakusa spends the next four days contemplating about her birthday, how he's supposed to "celebrate" with her, and the biggest question, how Komori knew something about Amari that he, the boyfriend, didn't know. He's too much of a coward to ask him, not wanting to be seen as the jealous type.

2 days. That's all he had left to plan for whatever he's even supposed to do for her. He browses the internet for probable answers but all he finds are a bunch of sappy ideas like taking her to a romantic dinner or going to fancy places, none of which was interesting to him.

"This shouldn't be about me, but there's no way I'm going canoeing with Emi or check out swans with her," he complains to himself as he locks his phone. It's no use after all.

"Hey, what's up?" Komori asks as he enters the living room with a sandwich on his hand.

"Can you not?" Sakusa groans, glaring at the boy who just took a bite. His cousin sits next to him, clueless what he's whining for.

"Can I not what?" he inquires then takes another bite. It doesn't just stop with his glare, "You're leaving crumbs everywhere," he scolds.

"Relax, there won't be ants. Or cockroaches or something," he tries to reassure him, but it doesn't help.

"I'm moving out of this place once I spot one."

"A little extreme, don't you think, Kiyoomi?" Komori laughs, worsening his cousin's annoyance, "Anyway, what were you doing?" he asks, attempting to distract him.

Sakusa doesn't answer. He isn't the best in planning surprises nor does he get any help from the internet, so perhaps, Komori might have nicer ideas.

"What will you give to a girl for her birthday?" he asks, instead of an answer.

"Oh? This is for Amari-san, isn't it?"

"Just answer."

"What hobbies does Amari-san have?"

"She writes a lot. Mostly non-fiction. She's also interested in fashion, but not mainstream, she likes experimenting on outfits, even if she gets bizarre at times. Also, I can't give her anything related to cooking. She's a horrible cook but she tries."

"Uhuh, keep going." Komori's more interested than ever. Sakusa still rarely talks about her so this is probably a first.

"I've never seen her wear jewelry other than a pair of pearl earrings. And that was just once so I'm guessing she doesn't like jewelry."

"Were you thinking of giving her jewelry? Like a ring?!" Komori exclaims.

"A ring? That could work but it's too expensive. It's not practical."

"You know what, Kiyoomi? Let's go shopping for her. Just look around and maybe you'll find something interesting."

"I hate malls."

"So how are you supposed to get anything for her? Look, it doesn't need to be a fancy gift. It can be a nice surprise, like a cake or something," Komori suggests and grabs his phone from his pocket.

"Like this, wait," he adds and browses the internet. Movie night date.

"Like this one. Just in your room, eating sna-"

"No way. I am not eating inside my room." Sakusa immediately protests despite him being clueless as well.

"Well, uh, then, no food? Like just Netflix?"

"Oh."

"And chill."

"What?"

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" Komori bursts out laughing. Sakusa still has no idea what his cousin was talking about and searches it himself.

He unlocks his phone and hurriedly types it on the search bar. The moment he reads the topmost definition, he glares at Komori. He is definitely not amused.

"It's a joke! I'm just kidding!" he emphasizes, but something about it flusters Sakusa. Not long after, he finds himself blushing, his imagination starting to run wild.

"Kiyoomi, don't take it seriously, geez," Komori repeats and tries to search for something else. "Amari-san might slap the hell out of you if you told her something like that," he adds a warning. Or will she?

"Anyway, why not just ask her? Like, what she wants to do or where she wants to go?"

"She probably wants to go to the mall or an amusement park," Sakusa cringes.

"Can't you do it for her just for one day?"

"And what? I'll be in a corner feeling disgusted by the crowd? No thanks."

"Just call her. Ask if there's something she wants to do or, I don't know."

Meanwhile, Amari busies herself with learning how to make chocolate. She's too clumsy in the kitchen but she can't mess this one up. She only has a week 'til their first Valentine's.

"Last year, he didn't even mind the chocolates I bought," she mumbles as a video tutorial on how to make homemade chocolate.

"He hates receiving those gifts. But there's no way he's going to reject mine, right?" she tries to reassure herself.

Moments later, the video playing gets interrupted by a sudden call.

Sakusa_Kiyoomi is
calling you!

"H-Hello!" she greets, full of enthusiasm and excitement. It's rare for him to call.

"Hello, Emi."

"What's up? You need something? Or did you just miss me, Omi?" she teases and giggles.

"I wanted to ask you something," he answers.

"Actually, I also have something to tell you!"

"What is it?"

"No, you first, heh."

"Just spill it out." His tone is getting a little grumpier but it's nothing unusual by now.

"I got scouted by a modeling agency! Can you believe that? They tell me I have the perfect height and face! So 5'10 isn't too tall after all!" she reveals in her usual bubbly and cheery voice.

"Wait, what? That's big news. Since when did you get scouted?" he asks, more serious this time.

"Two days ago. I had to check if it's just a scam but it's really legit!" she answers.

"Are you sure it's legit? It's not fishy?"

"I'm sure. What do you think?"

"Check it again. It seems suspicious. It might be a scam," he instructed her in monotone.

"I told you, I checked already. Is it so hard to believe? Look, Omi. I'm not dumb. It's not a fraud, I swear," she reassures, not minding the slight crack in her voice.

"I never said you were dumb. Why do you even want to do modeling? Don't you want to be a TV reporter or a writer? Those are different, you know," he scolds.

"I know being a TV reporter and a model are two different things. I know!"

"Why are you so mad?"

"I'm not mad! But why do you seem so against it?"

"I'm not against it. Modeling isn't going to be easy and I'm just asking you if you're serious about this. And if it's safe."

"Okay. Look." She pauses, taking a deep breath before continuing. "I've always been supportive of every single thing you do and I was hoping that this time, you'd sound a little more supportive for me."

call end