Chapter 1

His headlights beamed through the large window in my living room so brightly that I saw it from the kitchen where I was eating a cup of ramen while the rest of my housemates blissfully slept. I knew he'd show up eventually, but there wasn't enough time to prepare myself for when he would. And there never would be.

I considered hiding behind the marble counter that stretched across the middle of the kitchen I currently sat in because that way, if he were to look through the wide window, he wouldn't be able to see me.

But the light was on and I knew it gave away my whereabouts. Still, I wasn't going to make an effort to see him and if he really wanted to, he could come up to the front door instead of waiting in the car. I wasn't going to meet him there.

I peered over the countertop carefully and watched as rain poured down on his black Maserati, his headlights still shining. I released a deep sigh as I ducked behind the counter, deciding not to rendezvous with the fellow despite his expectations.

Soon enough, the bright light from his car ceased as my living room went dark and I rose from my hiding spot, seemingly falling into his trap. When I looked back into that large window to see if he'd gone, his car remained parked in the driveway and I watched as his silhouette made its way to the front door.

Knocking sounded twice on that wooden door and I practically jumped at the sound before cursing to myself. I still wasn't ready to face him.

Even so, there was no avoiding it. I had to sooner or later.

My hand slowly twisted the lock on the door before grabbing the knob, pulling it open. Staring across from me, I glanced up at the taller man who's dark hair was stuck to his forehead from the pouring rain. I hadn't moved to the side and continued to stare as I fell into a trance just looking into his gray eyes. His jacket turned a darker shade of red as rain continued to fall on it and he finally spoke up.

"Aren't you going to let me in?"

I hadn't responded to him and silently allowed him into my home and he removed his jacket, hanging it up on the doorknob. He was wearing a tight gray shirt that matched his stormy eyes and I noticed a golden necklace that hung around his neck.

"Take that off," I told him, my voice quiet.

A corner of his mouth curved up in a small grin as he touched the chain with his fingers. "This?"

I nodded my head.

"As you wish."

His fingers gripped the necklace before he gave it a quick tug, causing it to break. It dangled in his hand for a moment before he tossed it to the floor and it slid until it hit the wall.

I hadn't thought he'd comply so easily and it actually hurt me when he did. Of course, I refused to show it and remained emotionless in front of him as I usually did.

"Why've you returned?" I questioned him, taking a seat on the couch.

He plopped down beside me, the action causing my chest to stir uneasily, and he shrugged his shoulders.

"Has that woman had enough of you already?" I pressed. "It's only been a few months."

He ran a hand through his dark, damp hair before he shook it like a dog. And a dog he was.

"That's quite a while, Cade," he told me, his voice deep. "I'm sure you've missed me."

Completely disregarding my question, he spewed nonsense at the cost of my embarrassment.

"I can assure you that's not the case," I replied, my face growing hot.

He snickered at my response and I knew he didn't believe me.

"She told me her husband was coming back from his business trip tomorrow," he finally explained. "I had to get out of there quickly."

"You're—"

"Relax," he cut me off. "I didn't know she was married."

I breathed out. "Aren't you hurt?"

"Aren't you?" he asked.

I wasn't expecting him to return the question.

"I'm fine," I said. "It's in the past."

He pursed his lips. "You've gotten over your feelings for me?"

"Yes," I said. "It's been a while, you know."

He didn't make an effort to reply and even appeared maddened by my answer. It didn't make sense though, because he rejected those feelings some time ago.

Well, the conversation ended shortly after and I retired to my bedroom, assuming that he'd take his leave but I was unfortunately followed by an unwanted guest. He lingered by the doorway, shoving his hands into the pockets of his ripped skinny jeans, and frowned as he watched me crawl into my bed.

"What?" I asked. "This isn't your room."

His eyes refused to meet mine for a moment as he stared at the floor beneath his feet. "I know."

"Then go," I said, leaning back. "Don't worry, nobody has used it since you left."

"Hmm," he said.

And without another word, he turned his back and headed over to his bedroom. You see, we were housemates and we have been for a while.

But that was all we'd ever be despite my lingering feelings for him. He made it clear that my feelings were one-sided after all.

It was odd seeing him after a few months' time but he remained cool and relaxed as he always did as he acted as if we'd just seen each other days ago.

And well, the night soon came to an end.

———

The next morning, I groggily awoke after my alarm sounded and I slowly climbed out of bed to get ready for the long day ahead of me. I worked part-time at an office and attended classes at a university not too far from my home.

However, a problem soon arose as I arrived at work when I read a welcome banner that was strung across the doorway.

I felt a tap on my shoulder shortly after reading the banner and spun around to find my housemate grinning at me.

And it was there where I concluded Alec DeClair was a crazy mother fucker.

———
thx for reading (: