4

The boy was on the ground getting kicked by some fat man with a horrible hat. I inched forward but felt roans hands on my shoulder .

" let's go" he said and I glared at him . I didn't want to go ... I wanted to help him .

" you worthless scum!" The fat man yelled as he kicked harder at the younger boy . He was 13–14 I believe but he was still a child ! How could he be this awful .

" WHAT IS GOING ON HERE !!!" I said using a shrill voice . He turned to me and grimaced at me looking me up and down .

" look another worthless beggar , what is it sweetheart ? Is this your brother ?" he began and I walked towards him

" how much?" I asked and he laughed horribly.

" how much are you worth ? You can settle the score for me sweets" he said disgustingly and I growled and felt roan put a hand on my shoulder and moved me aside .

" how much did he steal ?, boy ! How much was it " he asked in a deadly tone. I froze and turned up to him I bit my lip and my eyes widened . He was scary .... the air around us went rigid and the boy stammered out in fear . I couldn't believe he could get this scary....

"...60 flit .." he said and the man growled and kicked him .

" it was 150!" He said embarrassed by saying how much he truly had . I walked forward and grabbed the bag... the fat man was going to swing at me but roan grabbed his arm harshly .

" 10...27...40...60 . 60 flit" I said and everyone gasped and began to whisper . I reached in my pouch and showed him .

" 150 .. 2x more and a little more for the inconvenience . " I said and helped the boy up . I turned to roan and dragged him off to a alley way .

" kitten ... you're amazing .. why'd you save him though ? and you. You should know by now thievery doesn't really get you far kid ... maybe try asking around for a job .." he said and the boy hung his head . I frowned and used my water flask and lightly cleaned his face . He had wild reddish brown hair and bright green eyes . He was quite adorable with his wild freckled face , I ruffled his hair and nodded to him . Poor kid had to be out here in the streets.

" why are you out here kid ?" I asked and he bowed his head and thanked me profusely. I rubbed his head and he turned up to me in tears .

" my parents died ... my father was a soldier , after the war .. he didn't survive .. so it was up to mum to care for me and my sister , but they got sick too . " he began and roan rolled his eyes .

" kid , tell the truth. Don't lie , especially not after she stuck her neck out to save you . And look she doesn't even have enough to buy herself a proper dress now " he said and I smacked roan .

" who said I wanted a dress? Maybe I want a tunic and some breeches ?" I asked and he chuckled and looked at the money.

" I actually think you can accomplish that "he said at me grinning. I shook my head and smiled at the kid.

" so?" I began and he looked at me then roan and nodded

" I'm an orphan . They were impoverished and kicked out the older kids , kids who could work .... but " he began and out popped two dog ears and a little tail out his pants. I wowed and turned to roan .

" there's beastmen in this city ! I thought they were in the east and north? I've never seen a beastman!" I said and lighty touched the boys ears and tails . He turned a scarlet color and I giggled and ruffled his hair .

" I'm sorry I got carried away.. but you couldn't get a job because of the ears and tail?" I asked and he nodded .

" what assholes " I said and thought . I heard the church bells ring and turned to roan.