Chapter Two: Consequence

The Shinra Electric Power Company was shrouded in mystery from its very beginning, with-holding its true purpose from the public eye and keeping secrets from the people under its control. Each faction of the corporation held secrets of their own– the science division was no exception. Its foundation was the study of Jenova, the calamity from the sky believed to be an Ancient.

Yet instead of merely observing this creature, Professors Hojo and Hollander began fusing her genes with humans' in attempt to create a Cetra of their own. In despite of their failure through Sephiroth, Genesis, and Angeal, they achieved creating a superior organism– not quite human, not quite Cetra.

Their darkest secret, however, was the discovery of a fourth creature with the potential to be stronger than the others. Upon being found, Hojo claimed the subject as his creation; Hollander had two of his own, did he not? He labeled the specimen as Subject C after a lost experiment in Nibelheim when the Jenova Theory was in its first stages. Though its discovery was recent, the fun had only just begun.

"The specimen showed fantastic battle capabilities and is prepared for a follow up test." Doctor Tau said, walking beside Hojo through the science facility. "He was not damaged, but he still failed to reach ten percent of its potential. Nonetheless, he received a medal of honor for his outstanding performance."

After countless twists and turns through the facility, most would give up keeping track of their location. Everything was the same– barren, tile floors, white walls with the occasional window-less door, and, of course, the Shinra logo at the end of each corridor. It was a far cry from the Drum in the floors above, but it was a suitable, unsuspicious workplace with the occasional blood stain.

"We have prepared charts comparing S and C's first combat experience." Tau said as they filed off into a side room, immediately swarmed with other scientists and machines. The professor assigned the Subject C Project to a team of ten individuals to account for the years of unsuitable conditions of its childhood and accelerate the war efficiency of the specimen. "C still lacks the efficacy of Subject S, and its skills are far from suitable to take the other on head-to-head."

"His upbringing was deficient of the nutrients necessary for proper growth and battle proficiency." The Professor grumbled, shaking his head. "Nothing can suffice for the loss." The projection of the humanoid stared at them wide-eyed through a screen at the head of the room along with diagnostic reports and vital signs, a perfect hologram of his likeness. Hojo studied the patterns of his abnormally rapid healing rate, wondering how in Gaia it was coded into his system. "I desire full-scale retests as well as the company of another mate similar to him. Put he and Subject S in the same chamber during their testing if you must. I want to observe their... interactions."

"I'll see to it." Tau said with a nod, walking over to a computer. Just as the Professor looked back to the projection of Subject C, the phone in his coat pocket buzzed. He grumbled to himself before picking it up and holding it to his ear.

"What could you possibly want with me now? I'm busy." He sneered, turning on his heel and walking into the hall.

"Are you prepared for this evening, Professor?" The sultry voice of Scarlet purred with a sharp laugh.

"Was that all you need bother me for?"

"Of course not. I was thinking we could begin with pleasantries and save tearing at each other's throats for your little pets' party. Your new one, Cloud, was it? Whatever you did to him in that decrepit lab of yours worked flawlessly. The battle footage was stunning."

"Enough useless babbling. Get on with your point."

Scarlet laughed to herself before clearing her throat. "I thought I ought to be the one to inform you of this matter since I prefer your work over your partner's... But I will only relieve the information to you if you let me observe the materia trails."